Overview of Culture Stool
What is Culture Stool?
Stool culture is a test used to examine the presence of any micro organisms in the stool or feces to identify the cause of any gastrointestinal distress.
The sample type collected for Culture Stool is: Stool
Preparation for Culture Stool
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Culture Stool?
- If your doctor suspects any stomach or intestinal infection
- If you experience signs or symptoms such as diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, fever for a long time
- If you have severe symptoms such as extreme dehydration, or have diarrhea from traveling to another country.
What Results of Culture Stool mean?
- A positive result means that there is growth of particular micro organsim in the stool sample, which indicates an infection with that organsim
- A negative result means that there are no abnormal organisms present in the stool sample
Patient Concerns about Culture Stool
Frequently Asked Questions about Culture Stool
Q. Does normal stool contains bacteria?
Yes, our gastrointestinal system is home to millions of bacteria. These bacteria help us in digestion. Hence, they are called good bacteria. Sometimes, due to contamination other infectious bacteria enter our bodies causing infection.
The CLINICAL LABORATORY of Shahbazker’s Diagnostics Pvt. Ltd., Colaba is the 5th lab in Mumbai & 21st in India to be granted accreditation by NABL, and the 1st Lab in Mumbai and 2nd in India to be accredited under ISO 15189 (specific for medical Laboratories). NABL is a body under the Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India. Its criteria are based on ISO 15189:2007.