What is CECT Pituitary Sella?
Contrast Enhanced Computerized Tomography (CECT) scan of the Pituitary Sella is a diagnostic procedure in which a contrast material is injected and the rotating beams of X-rays are used to create cross sectional images of the the pituitary gland or sella turcica (on which pituitary gland lie).
Why is CECT Pituitary Sella done?
- To detect the problems in your sella (shrunken/flattened pituitary gland)
- To diagnose presence of any pituitary tumor (cancer)
- To find out the cause of hemianopsia (decreased vision)
Preparation for CECT Pituitary Sella
- Pregnant women should inform their doctor (and x-ray technician) as the radiations may affect the fetus. If needed, precautions can be taken to lower the radiation exposure to the fetus.
- You may have to remove your jewelry and any metal objects which might interfere with the image.
- Get the blood urea and creatinine test done to evaluate kidney function and to ensure safety of contrast before taking up the procedure.
Andheri (East), MAHARASHTRA