Overview of Creatinine
What is Creatinine?
It is done to evaluate the health of your kidneys. It can be done as a part of basic metabolic panel or when you have signs or symptoms suggestive of kidney disease like swelling of face, ankle, lower back pain, changes in urine output etc. It should also be done to monitor the treatment if you are already diagnosed with a kidney disease. It is also ordered if you have diseases which can affect the kidney like diabetes etc.
The sample type collected for Creatinine is: Blood
Preparation for Creatinine
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Creatinine?
- As a part of routine health check up or basic metabolic panel
- As a part of kidney function test
- If you have signs or symptoms of kidney disease like swelling or puffiness around the eyes, face, wrists etc, poor appetite, change in urinary frequency, bloody urine, mid back pain or high blood pressure
- If you already have a kidney disease, this test is regolarly done to assess the function of your kidneys and plan further management
What Results of Creatinine mean?
- Increased creatinine levels in blood suggest kidney disease or other disorders which may affect kidney function. These include: damage to the blood vessels in kidney (glomerulonephritis), bacterial infection of kidney (pyelonephritis), acute tubular necrosis, kidney stones or rarely congestive heart failure, dehydration etc
- Low levels of creatinine are not usually seen and is not a cause for concern
Patient Concerns about Creatinine
Frequently Asked Questions about Creatinine
Q. Does exercise affect my creatinine levels?
Moderate exercise does not usually affect the creatinine levels. As you continue exercising, more muscle mass is built which may affect the levels temporarily.
Q. Does diet affect the levels of creatinine?
Some studies suggest that eating cooked meat prior to the test may increase the levels.
General Diagnostics Pvt Ltd is a medical technology company and provider of high-end Preventive Screening and Diagnostic tests with a special focus on metabolomics. General Diagnostics Pvt Ltd is also a Technology Solution Provider to laboratories world-wide offering services based on high end chromatographic instruments. Since its inception about a decade ago, General Diagnostics Pvt Ltd has been continually evolving, transforming and thriving in this ever changing field through its innovations, operational efficiency, and creation of breakthrough solutions. General Diagnostics Pvt Ltd has to its credit the world's most comprehensive genetic metabolic screening test, in addition to several other preventive tests which help address health conditions like diabetes, weight problems, food intolerances, allergies and dysbiosis.