Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Lipid Profile
It includes the evaluation of your total cholesterol, high density lipoproteins (HDL), low density lipoproteins (LDL) and triglycerides. This test is basically used for the assessment of your risk of cardiovascular disease. You should get this test done every 4 to 6 years if you don’t have any other risk factors for heart disease; get it done yearly if you have risk factors for heart disease like high blood pressure, smoking, diabetes, low HDL cholesterol, and family history of heart disease.
Why Get Tested
- It is a part of complete health check up or package
- If you are already diagnosed with heart disease
- It shoold be done every six months if you have risk factors for heart diseases like cigarette smoking, hypertension, diabetes, family history of heart disease
- Even if you don't have risk factors for heart disease, get this test done every four to six years
- The American Academy of Pediatrics also recommend that lipid profile must be done once between the ages of 9 to 11 years and again between 17 to 21 years of age
- It is done routinely to evaluate the effectiveness of lipid lowering medicines
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
What Results of Lipid Profile mean?
- In general, healthy lipid levels help to maintain a healthy heart and lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke
- High level of total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglycerides are associated with high risk of cardiovascular diseases
- Low levels of HDL cholesterol can lead to increased risk of heart diseases
Tests Included in Lipid Profile(5 tests)
- Cholesterol - HDL
- Cholesterol - LDL
- Very Low Density Lipoprotein
- Cholesterol - Total
Clinitech Laboratory Private Limited was registered at Registrar of Companies Mumbai on 19 March, 2010 and is categorised as Company limited by Shares and an Non-govt company. Clinitech LaboratoryRead More