Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Insulin - Fasting
This test is ordered when you have low blood glucose levels with symptoms such as sweating, palpitations, dizziness, fainting; when you have diabetes and your doctor wants to monitor your insulin production; sometimes when it is suspected that you have insulin resistance.
Why Get Tested
- If you have signs or symptoms of low blood glucose (hypoglycemia) like sweating, hunger, confusion, blurred vision, dizziness, palpitations and sometimes fainting
- In case of suspected type 2 diabetes, polycystic ovarian syndrome, heart disease or metabolic syndrome
- In case of suspected insolinoma
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
What Results of Insulin - Fasting mean?
- High fasting insulin levels along with normal fasting glucose level indicate insulin resistance. Causes of high fasting insulin levels are acromegaly, Cushing syndrome, insulinomas, obesity
- Normal fasting insulin level along with low fasting glucose level usually indicate hypoglycemia due to excess insulin
- Low fasting insulin level with high fasting glucose level usually mean that there is not enough insulin produced by beta cells which may be seen in diabetes, pancreatitis
Patient Concerns about Insulin - Fasting
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can I do a home insulin test?
No, insulin test requires special instruments so, it can only be done in laboratories
Clinitech Laboratory Private Limited was registered at Registrar of Companies Mumbai on 19 March, 2010 and is categorised as Company limited by Shares and an Non-govt company. Clinitech LaboratoryRead More