Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Anti Thyroperoxidase Antibody
Thyroid peroxidase is an enzyme produces by your thyroid gland and plays an important role in the production of thyroid hormones. Your doctor will order this test when he/ she is suspecting thyroid disorder like weight gain or loss, fatigue, rapid heart beat, anxiety etc. Sometimes, these symptoms might be caused by auto immune disorder like Hashimoto’s thyroiditis or Grave’s disease.
Why Get Tested
- If you have symptoms of hypothyroidism like weight gain, fatigue, constipation, cold intolerance
- If you have symptoms of hyperthyroidism like sweating, rapid heart rate, tremors, anxiety, weight loss, protruding eyes
- If a pregnant woman has a known autoimmune thyroid disease like Hashimoto’s thyroiditis or Grave’s disease
- If you have another autoimmune disorder and are at increased risk of thyroid dysfunction
- No special preparation required
What Results of Anti Thyroperoxidase Antibody mean?
- Significantly increased levels of anti TPO antibodies are most frequently associated with thyroid autoimmune disorder like Hashimoto’s thyroiditis or Grave’s disease
- Mild to moderately elevated levels can be seen in type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, pernicious anemia
- Negative anti TPO antibodies mean that there is no auto immune disorder most likely
Clinitech Laboratory Private Limited was registered at Registrar of Companies Mumbai on 19 March, 2010 and is categorised as Company limited by Shares and an Non-govt company. Clinitech LaboratoryRead More