Overview of FER
What is FER?
Ferritin levels reflect iron stoes in normal individuals. A low serum ferritin level is an indicator of iron depletion. This assay is clinically useful in distinguishing between Iron deficiency anemia (low level) and anemia of chronic disease (normal or high level). It is also useful to assess iron overload conditions like Hemochromatosis. Ferritin is also an acute phase reactant.
Why is FER done?
- If you have signs or symptoms of iron deficiency anemia like pallor, fatigue, weakness, headaches
- If your CBC shows that your hemoglobin and hematocrit are low and RBC’s are smaller and paler than normal which usually suggest iron deficiency anemia
- If you have signs or symptoms of increased accumolation of iron in the body like joint pain, abdominal pain, fatigue, loss of body hair
Preparation for FER
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
Sample Type for FER
The sample type collected for Ferritin is: Blood
Interpreting FER results
- Low ferritin levels usually suggest iron deficiency anemia
- High ferritin levels are seen in sideroblastic anemia, hemachromatosis, hemolytic anemia or after multiple blood transfusions
- Ferritin levels are not usually done alone. They should be read in conjunction with other tests for iron
- Ferritin is also an important acute phase reactant so can be increased in inflammation, liver disease, chronic infections etc.
TechMed Healthcare have been making rapid progress in the field of Hospital Lab Management (HLM) in India. As front-runners in the industry, we associate with hospitals and clinics to offer them complete and the best laboratory support services, including total management of the laboratory services that conform to NABL standards, purchase of equipment, and, absorption and training of lab staff. Our 360 degree approach to the laboratory services management allows our partners to release complete responsibility of the lab division, one of their prime responsibilities, while simultaneously enjoying the benefits of a hi tech laboratory viz., faster delivery of reports, greater revenue through referrals and better investment of time, to name a few. A state of the art lab information system, high tech equipment, qualified and trained staff, adherence to industry standards - have all helped us forge a name in the realm of HLM in India. Our resolute commitment to being prompt and quality driven, is reflected in the host of special services and facilities we offer such as a 24/7 lab service facility and SMART reports that allow for virtual access to patient records and reports, making us the favored choice among our stakeholders.