Overview of Creatinine
What is Creatinine?
It is done to evaluate the health of your kidneys. It can be done as a part of basic metabolic panel or when you have signs or symptoms suggestive of kidney disease like swelling of face, ankle, lower back pain, changes in urine output etc. It should also be done to monitor the treatment if you are already diagnosed with a kidney disease. It is also ordered if you have diseases which can affect the kidney like diabetes etc.
Why is Creatinine done?
- As a part of routine health check up or basic metabolic panel
- As a part of kidney function test
- If you have signs or symptoms of kidney disease like swelling or puffiness around the eyes, face, wrists etc, poor appetite, change in urinary frequency, bloody urine, mid back pain or high blood pressure
- If you already have a kidney disease, this test is regolarly done to assess the function of your kidneys and plan further management
Preparation for Creatinine
- No special preparation required
Sample Type for Creatinine
The sample type collected for Creatinine is: Blood
Interpreting Creatinine results
- Increased creatinine levels in blood suggest kidney disease or other disorders which may affect kidney function. These include: damage to the blood vessels in kidney (glomerulonephritis), bacterial infection of kidney (pyelonephritis), acute tubular necrosis, kidney stones or rarely congestive heart failure, dehydration etc
- Low levels of creatinine are not usually seen and is not a cause for concern
Answers to Patient Concerns & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Creatinine
Frequently Asked Questions about Creatinine
Q. Does exercise affect my creatinine levels?
Moderate exercise does not usually affect the creatinine levels. As you continue exercising, more muscle mass is built which may affect the levels temporarily.
Q. Does diet affect the levels of creatinine?
Some studies suggest that eating cooked meat prior to the test may increase the levels.
TechMed Healthcare have been making rapid progress in the field of Hospital Lab Management (HLM) in India. As front-runners in the industry, we associate with hospitals and clinics to offer them complete and the best laboratory support services, including total management of the laboratory services that conform to NABL standards, purchase of equipment, and, absorption and training of lab staff. Our 360 degree approach to the laboratory services management allows our partners to release complete responsibility of the lab division, one of their prime responsibilities, while simultaneously enjoying the benefits of a hi tech laboratory viz., faster delivery of reports, greater revenue through referrals and better investment of time, to name a few. A state of the art lab information system, high tech equipment, qualified and trained staff, adherence to industry standards - have all helped us forge a name in the realm of HLM in India. Our resolute commitment to being prompt and quality driven, is reflected in the host of special services and facilities we offer such as a 24/7 lab service facility and SMART reports that allow for virtual access to patient records and reports, making us the favored choice among our stakeholders.