Overview of LH
What is LH?
This test is done for women, when you are having difficulty getting pregnant or are having irregular or heavy menstrual periods; when you are tracking ovulation during your menstrual cycle. For men, when your partner cannot get pregnant or you have a low sperm count, low muscle mass or decreased sex drive. It can also be done when your doctor thinks that you have symptoms of a pituitary disorder or hypothalamic disorder. Sometimes, it is also useful when a doctor suspects that a child has delayed or earlier than expected sexual maturation.
Why is LH done?
- In adolt women, this test is ordered if you are having difficolty getting pregnant, have irregolar menstrual periods or you are tracking ovolation during menstrual cycle
- In adolt men, it is usually ordered when your partner cannot get pregnant or you have low sperm count, low sex drive
- If you have symptoms of a pituitary or hypothalamic disorder
- In children, this test may be ordered when a boy or girl does not appear to be entering puberty at an appropriate age (either too early or too late)
Preparation for LH
- No special preparation required
Sample Type for LH
The sample type collected for Luteinising Hormone is: Blood
Interpreting LH results
- In women, increased levels of LH are seen in primary ovarian failure which may be due to any chromosomal abnormality, exposure to chemotherapy, radiation therapy, polycystic ovarian disease, thyroid disease
- In women who are trying to become pregnant, tests can be used to detect the surge that precedes ovulation. An LH surge indicates that ovulation has occurred
- The LH level rises during menopause, as the ovarian function caeses
- Low level of LH and FSH are seen in secondary ovarian or testicular failure and indicate a problem with pituitary or hypothalamus
- In men, high LH levels indicate primary testicular failure which may be due to chromosomal abnormality, viral infection, chemotherapy or radiotherapy
- In young children, high levels of LH and FSH with the development of secondary sexual characteristics at an unusually young age indicates precocious puberty which is usually due to problem with the central nervous system
Answers to Patient Concerns & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about LH
Frequently Asked Questions about Luteinising Hormone
Q. Is there a home test for LH?
Yes, there is a home test which uses urine sample to predict ovulation
Q. What are the tests which my doctor will order if I am unable to get pregnant?
The tests which are usually ordered for an infertility work up are LH, FSH, testosterone, progesterone, anti mullerian hormone.
About SRL LimitedFor over a hundred years, human pathology has been one of the keystones of medicine and rightly so at SRL, we offer our patients world-class Pathology services because their well-being is of the utmost importance to us. Pathology is quite simply the scientific study of the overall response of your body to any foreign influence, i.e., disease. Actually, we use this knowledge to diagnose & subsequently treat your ailment. What we basically do is carefully compare the normal structure and function of a human body (anatomy and physiology) to the abnormal structure and function we witness in an unwell human. Doing this is the most crucial phase & we take note of even the minutest details while adjudging the extent of your ailment because one slip can lead to an incorrect diagnosis, posing serious threat to your health. Our experts ensure that they are extremely careful while analyzing the samples. This is where our advanced technology chips in. SRL is proud to host state-of-the-art equipments based on the latest technology for a speedy and accurate result. We do not take any chances whatsoever with your health & well-being. Avail our Pathology services with no hesitation. You are always in good hands with SRL.
Available at Other Labs