Overview of Luteinising Hormone
What is Luteinising Hormone?
This test is done for women, when you are having difficulty getting pregnant or are having irregular or heavy menstrual periods; when you are tracking ovulation during your menstrual cycle. For men, when your partner cannot get pregnant or you have a low sperm count, low muscle mass or decreased sex drive. It can also be done when your doctor thinks that you have symptoms of a pituitary disorder or hypothalamic disorder. Sometimes, it is also useful when a doctor suspects that a child has delayed or earlier than expected sexual maturation.
The sample type collected for Luteinising Hormone is: Blood
Preparation for Luteinising Hormone
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Luteinising Hormone?
- In adolt women, this test is ordered if you are having difficolty getting pregnant, have irregolar menstrual periods or you are tracking ovolation during menstrual cycle
- In adolt men, it is usually ordered when your partner cannot get pregnant or you have low sperm count, low sex drive
- If you have symptoms of a pituitary or hypothalamic disorder
- In children, this test may be ordered when a boy or girl does not appear to be entering puberty at an appropriate age (either too early or too late)
What Results of Luteinising Hormone mean?
- In women, increased levels of LH are seen in primary ovarian failure which may be due to any chromosomal abnormality, exposure to chemotherapy, radiation therapy, polycystic ovarian disease, thyroid disease
- In women who are trying to become pregnant, tests can be used to detect the surge that precedes ovulation. An LH surge indicates that ovulation has occurred
- The LH level rises during menopause, as the ovarian function caeses
- Low level of LH and FSH are seen in secondary ovarian or testicular failure and indicate a problem with pituitary or hypothalamus
- In men, high LH levels indicate primary testicular failure which may be due to chromosomal abnormality, viral infection, chemotherapy or radiotherapy
- In young children, high levels of LH and FSH with the development of secondary sexual characteristics at an unusually young age indicates precocious puberty which is usually due to problem with the central nervous system
Patient Concerns about Luteinising Hormone
Frequently Asked Questions about Luteinising Hormone
Q. Is there a home test for LH?
Yes, there is a home test which uses urine sample to predict ovulation
Q. What are the tests which my doctor will order if I am unable to get pregnant?
The tests which are usually ordered for an infertility work up are LH, FSH, testosterone, progesterone, anti mullerian hormone.
Primex Healthcare and Research Private Limited is a company incorporated in Chennai, India that aims to deliver premium quality healthcare services at affordable prices across India.\r\nIndia has a highly fragmented diagnostics services industry that has many local players and a few regional/national players. The services are costly and not within the reach of most of India. To take advantage of the typical volume spike that the right price can deliver, Primex has introduced the low cost “Jet Konnect” model with a graded pan India rollout strategy. Primex Scans & Labs, a division of Primex Healthcare, is the diagnostic arm that delivers high-end scan and laboratory services at affordable prices by providing a professional, dependable, accessible and affordable service. Driven by volumes, Primex passes on the economies of scale as a direct benefit to the customer. Primex brings the best of medical equipment from pioneers like Philips and Toshiba and technology developed in-house to guarantee precise and timely results. Primex takes customer service to the next level by enabling unique services like home collection, 24x7 centers, online & SMS-based report tracking and delivery, 24x7 appointments through a dedicated call center and much more. Primex now has 6 primary locations spread across Chennai providing 2000+types of investigations including MRI scan, CT scan, digital X-Ray, Ultrasound, computerized ECG, TMT and lab tests. Primex is backed by Kalpathi Investments as a strategic and significant shareholder in the company.