Overview of Creatinine
What is Creatinine?
It is done to evaluate the health of your kidneys. It can be done as a part of basic metabolic panel or when you have signs or symptoms suggestive of kidney disease like swelling of face, ankle, lower back pain, changes in urine output etc. It should also be done to monitor the treatment if you are already diagnosed with a kidney disease. It is also ordered if you have diseases which can affect the kidney like diabetes etc.
Why is Creatinine done?
- As a part of routine health check up or basic metabolic panel
- As a part of kidney function test
- If you have signs or symptoms of kidney disease like swelling or puffiness around the eyes, face, wrists etc, poor appetite, change in urinary frequency, bloody urine, mid back pain or high blood pressure
- If you already have a kidney disease, this test is regolarly done to assess the function of your kidneys and plan further management
Preparation for Creatinine
- No special preparation required
Sample Type for Creatinine
The sample type collected for Creatinine is: Blood
Interpreting Creatinine results
- Increased creatinine levels in blood suggest kidney disease or other disorders which may affect kidney function. These include: damage to the blood vessels in kidney (glomerulonephritis), bacterial infection of kidney (pyelonephritis), acute tubular necrosis, kidney stones or rarely congestive heart failure, dehydration etc
- Low levels of creatinine are not usually seen and is not a cause for concern
Answers to Patient Concerns & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Creatinine
Frequently Asked Questions about Creatinine
Q. Does exercise affect my creatinine levels?
Moderate exercise does not usually affect the creatinine levels. As you continue exercising, more muscle mass is built which may affect the levels temporarily.
Q. Does diet affect the levels of creatinine?
Some studies suggest that eating cooked meat prior to the test may increase the levels.
Primex Healthcare and Research Private Limited is a company incorporated in Chennai, India that aims to deliver premium quality healthcare services at affordable prices across India.\r\nIndia has a highly fragmented diagnostics services industry that has many local players and a few regional/national players. The services are costly and not within the reach of most of India. To take advantage of the typical volume spike that the right price can deliver, Primex has introduced the low cost “Jet Konnect” model with a graded pan India rollout strategy. Primex Scans & Labs, a division of Primex Healthcare, is the diagnostic arm that delivers high-end scan and laboratory services at affordable prices by providing a professional, dependable, accessible and affordable service. Driven by volumes, Primex passes on the economies of scale as a direct benefit to the customer. Primex brings the best of medical equipment from pioneers like Philips and Toshiba and technology developed in-house to guarantee precise and timely results. Primex takes customer service to the next level by enabling unique services like home collection, 24x7 centers, online & SMS-based report tracking and delivery, 24x7 appointments through a dedicated call center and much more. Primex now has 6 primary locations spread across Chennai providing 2000+types of investigations including MRI scan, CT scan, digital X-Ray, Ultrasound, computerized ECG, TMT and lab tests. Primex is backed by Kalpathi Investments as a strategic and significant shareholder in the company.
Available at Other Labs