Overview of Ionic Calcium
What is Ionic Calcium?
Ionized calcium, also called free calcium, is the amount of calcium that is floating in the blood, not attached to proteins.
Why is Ionic Calcium done?
- As a part of a complete metabolic panel (CMP) or basic metabolic panel (BMP)
- If you have signs or symptoms suggestive of
- Kidney disease
- Thyroid disease
- Parathyroid disease
- High calcium levels such as constipation, abdominal pain, increased thirst or weakness
- Low calcium levels such as tingling fingers or muscle cramps
Preparation for Ionic Calcium
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
Sample Type for Ionic Calcium
The sample type collected for Calcium Ionized is: Blood
Interpreting Ionic Calcium results
- High levels of calcium may be associated with hyperparathyroidism, hyperthyroidism, sarcoidosis, medicines like thiazide diuretcis and some tumors
- Lower levels may be due to vitamin D deficiency, kidney failure, decreased absorption of calcium or bone disease.
Answers to Patient Concerns & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Ionic Calcium
Frequently Asked Questions about Calcium Ionized
Q. What are the good sources of calcium?
Milk and other dairy products are the best sources of calcium. Various fruits and vegetables such as green leafy vegetables, broccoli, nuts, eggs and legumes are also great sources of calcium.
Primex Healthcare and Research Private Limited is a company incorporated in Chennai, India that aims to deliver premium quality healthcare services at affordable prices across India.\r\nIndia has a highly fragmented diagnostics services industry that has many local players and a few regional/national players. The services are costly and not within the reach of most of India. To take advantage of the typical volume spike that the right price can deliver, Primex has introduced the low cost “Jet Konnect” model with a graded pan India rollout strategy. Primex Scans & Labs, a division of Primex Healthcare, is the diagnostic arm that delivers high-end scan and laboratory services at affordable prices by providing a professional, dependable, accessible and affordable service. Driven by volumes, Primex passes on the economies of scale as a direct benefit to the customer. Primex brings the best of medical equipment from pioneers like Philips and Toshiba and technology developed in-house to guarantee precise and timely results. Primex takes customer service to the next level by enabling unique services like home collection, 24x7 centers, online & SMS-based report tracking and delivery, 24x7 appointments through a dedicated call center and much more. Primex now has 6 primary locations spread across Chennai providing 2000+types of investigations including MRI scan, CT scan, digital X-Ray, Ultrasound, computerized ECG, TMT and lab tests. Primex is backed by Kalpathi Investments as a strategic and significant shareholder in the company.
Available at Other Labs