Overview of Anti-Tg
What is Anti-Tg?
Your thyroid gland produces a number of proteins including thyroglobulin. This protein helps produce hormones released by thyroid. Your doctor may order a anti thyroglobulin antibody test if you have symptoms of a thyroid disorder (hypothyroidism) like fatigue, weight gain, constipation, cold intolerance or when your other thyroid tests like T3, T4, and TSH show some abnormality.
Why is Anti-Tg done?
- Prior to and after the completion of treatment for thyroid cancer to evaluate the effectiveness of treatment
- To monitor the recurrence of thyroid cancer
- If you have symptoms of hyperthyroidism like sweating, rapid heart rate, tremors, anxiety, weight loss, protruding eyes
- If you have symptoms of hypothyroidism like weight gain, fatigue, constipation, cold intolerance
- If you have another autoimmune disorder and are at increased risk of thyroid dysfunction
Preparation for Anti-Tg
- No special preparation required
Sample Type for Anti-Tg
The sample type collected for Anti Thyroglobulin Antibody is: Blood
Interpreting Anti-Tg results
- If thyroglobulin concentrations are initially elevated in a person diagnosed with thyroid cancer, then it is likely that thyroglobulin can be used as a tumor marker. Thyroglobulin levels should be undetectable or very low after the surgical removal of the thyroid (thyroidectomy) and/or after subsequent radioactive iodine treatments. If levels are still detectable, there may be normal or cancerous thyroid tissue remaining in the person's body, indicating the need for additional treatment
- If the level of thyroglobulin is low for a few weeks or months after surgery and then begins to rise over time, then the cancer is probably recurring
- Decreasing levels of thyroglobulin in those treated for Grave's disease indicate a response to treatment
- People who have goitre, thyroiditis or hyperthyroidism may have elevated thyroglobulin levels, although this test is not routinely ordered
Primex Healthcare and Research Private Limited is a company incorporated in Chennai, India that aims to deliver premium quality healthcare services at affordable prices across India.\r\nIndia has a highly fragmented diagnostics services industry that has many local players and a few regional/national players. The services are costly and not within the reach of most of India. To take advantage of the typical volume spike that the right price can deliver, Primex has introduced the low cost “Jet Konnect” model with a graded pan India rollout strategy. Primex Scans & Labs, a division of Primex Healthcare, is the diagnostic arm that delivers high-end scan and laboratory services at affordable prices by providing a professional, dependable, accessible and affordable service. Driven by volumes, Primex passes on the economies of scale as a direct benefit to the customer. Primex brings the best of medical equipment from pioneers like Philips and Toshiba and technology developed in-house to guarantee precise and timely results. Primex takes customer service to the next level by enabling unique services like home collection, 24x7 centers, online & SMS-based report tracking and delivery, 24x7 appointments through a dedicated call center and much more. Primex now has 6 primary locations spread across Chennai providing 2000+types of investigations including MRI scan, CT scan, digital X-Ray, Ultrasound, computerized ECG, TMT and lab tests. Primex is backed by Kalpathi Investments as a strategic and significant shareholder in the company.