HSV 2 IgG & IgM
What is HSV 2 IgG & IgM?
The HSV 2 IgG and IgM tests are antibody tests to determine the presence of Herpes Simplex Virus 2 (HSV 2) in blood. It is recommended for patients, who are suspected to have a herpes infection.
Why is HSV 2 IgG & IgM done?
HSV 2 IgG and IgM tests are performed to diagnose an infection of the Herpes Simplex Virus 2 (HSV 2). If herpes symptoms like blisters in genital area and viral meningitis symptoms are detected, the test may be recommended.
Interpreting HSV 2 IgG & IgM results
- A positive HSV-2 IgM test indicates recent or active infection.
• A positive HSV-2 IgG test indicates previous infection.
• A significant increase in HSV 2 IgG antibodies also indicates an active or recent infection.
• Negative results indicate that no exposure to HSV occurred, or that antibodies were not yet produced.
Tests Included (2 tests)
- Herpes Simplex Virus 2 IgG