Overview of Hemoglobin (Hb) Electrophoresis by HPLC
What is Hemoglobin (Hb) Electrophoresis by HPLC?
This assay is useful in the diagnosis of disorders associated with abnormal forms of hemoglobin like sickle cell anemia, thalassemia.
The sample type collected for Hemoglobin (Hb) Electrophoresis by HPLC is: Blood
Preparation for Hemoglobin (Hb) Electrophoresis by HPLC
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Hemoglobin (Hb) Electrophoresis by HPLC?
- If you have signs or symptoms of hemolytic anemia like jaundice, fatigue, pale skin or splenomegaly
- If your complete blood count and peripheral smear indicate that you may have an abnormal form of hemoglobin
- It is commonly done as a part of newborn screening
- It may used for prenatal screening if a parent is at high risk
What Results of Hemoglobin (Hb) Electrophoresis by HPLC mean?
All the results should be carefully interpreted in correlation with the patient's signs and symptoms and other laboratory findings.
- Presence of high level of sickle cell hemoglobin (HbS ) on HPLC denotes either sickle cell trait or sickle cell anemia
- Increased levels of fetal hemoglobin (HbF) on HPLC is associated with beta thalassemia major. Sometimes, it can also be seen in sickle cell anemia
- High HbA2 levels are mostly associated with beta thalassemia minor or trait. Recent studies say that HbA2 level between 4 to 9% is diagnostic of beta thalassemia trait
- Other less common hemoglobins which can be detected are hemoglobin D, J, G, M etc.
Trident Diagnostics - A unit of Trident Diagnostics & Healthcare Pvt. Ltd. is a holistic healthcare centre built on the tenets of accuracy, accessibility and affordability, a vision that has enabled quality healthcare convenience to everyone. Our omnibus service includes laboratory and diagnostic testing, subject expert consultation and a fully equipped pharmacy. Our dynamic team of highly qualified clinical trial professionals cater to routine as well as critical diagnostic services, discharging professional responsibilities with highest sense of integrity.\r\nStrategically located in West Bengaluru, Trident Diagnostics is spread over a sprawling area of 5000 sqft, divided categorically into 3 floors. Our fully automated and bar coded laboratory boosts of state-of-the-art infrastructure equipped with cutting edge technologically precise lab and diagnostic equipment and practices. Our core focus areas include but not limited to clinical pathology, hematology, hormones and histopathology with imaging services in Radiology, Cardiology and Gynecology to name a few. We operate hub and spoke model for sample collection and our collection centres are fanned out across the city with many Lab-to-Lab tie-ups. We have a team of dedicated riders and phlebotomists and are capable of outstation sample collection with reporting. We also provide home sample collection for our customers with a simple booking procedure over the phone. We manage round-the-clock laboratory at Sri Rama Multi Specialty Hospital and Trauma Centre in Sunkadakatte and have tie up with leading insurance aggregators. The entire team at Trident Diagnostics work towards the sole motto \Sarve Janah Sukhino Bhavanthu\. We are dedicated to all the ethical and moral standards of Lab technology that help our doctors and patients to get accurate and precise reports at the minimum turnaround-time at a right value.