Overview of Ferritin
What is Ferritin?
Ferritin levels reflect iron stoes in normal individuals. A low serum ferritin level is an indicator of iron depletion. This assay is clinically useful in distinguishing between Iron deficiency anemia (low level) and anemia of chronic disease (normal or high level). It is also useful to assess iron overload conditions like Hemochromatosis. Ferritin is also an acute phase reactant.
The sample type collected for Ferritin is: Blood
Preparation for Ferritin
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
Why Get Tested for Ferritin?
- If you have signs or symptoms of iron deficiency anemia like pallor, fatigue, weakness, headaches
- If your CBC shows that your hemoglobin and hematocrit are low and RBC’s are smaller and paler than normal which usually suggest iron deficiency anemia
- If you have signs or symptoms of increased accumolation of iron in the body like joint pain, abdominal pain, fatigue, loss of body hair
What Results of Ferritin mean?
- Low ferritin levels usually suggest iron deficiency anemia
- High ferritin levels are seen in sideroblastic anemia, hemachromatosis, hemolytic anemia or after multiple blood transfusions
- Ferritin levels are not usually done alone. They should be read in conjunction with other tests for iron
- Ferritin is also an important acute phase reactant so can be increased in inflammation, liver disease, chronic infections etc.
Trident Diagnostics - A unit of Trident Diagnostics & Healthcare Pvt. Ltd. is a holistic healthcare centre built on the tenets of accuracy, accessibility and affordability, a vision that has enabled quality healthcare convenience to everyone. Our omnibus service includes laboratory and diagnostic testing, subject expert consultation and a fully equipped pharmacy. Our dynamic team of highly qualified clinical trial professionals cater to routine as well as critical diagnostic services, discharging professional responsibilities with highest sense of integrity.\r\nStrategically located in West Bengaluru, Trident Diagnostics is spread over a sprawling area of 5000 sqft, divided categorically into 3 floors. Our fully automated and bar coded laboratory boosts of state-of-the-art infrastructure equipped with cutting edge technologically precise lab and diagnostic equipment and practices. Our core focus areas include but not limited to clinical pathology, hematology, hormones and histopathology with imaging services in Radiology, Cardiology and Gynecology to name a few. We operate hub and spoke model for sample collection and our collection centres are fanned out across the city with many Lab-to-Lab tie-ups. We have a team of dedicated riders and phlebotomists and are capable of outstation sample collection with reporting. We also provide home sample collection for our customers with a simple booking procedure over the phone. We manage round-the-clock laboratory at Sri Rama Multi Specialty Hospital and Trauma Centre in Sunkadakatte and have tie up with leading insurance aggregators. The entire team at Trident Diagnostics work towards the sole motto \Sarve Janah Sukhino Bhavanthu\. We are dedicated to all the ethical and moral standards of Lab technology that help our doctors and patients to get accurate and precise reports at the minimum turnaround-time at a right value.