Overview of Blood Urea Nitrogen
What is Blood Urea Nitrogen?
It is done to evaluate the health of your kidneys. It can be done as a part of basic metabolic panel or when you have signs or symptoms suggestive of kidney disease like swelling of face, ankle, lower back pain, changes in urine output etc. It should also be done to monitor the treatment if you are already diagnosed with a kidney disease or in dialysis patients. The test may also be ordered prior to or during certain drug treatment to monitor the kidney function.
The sample type collected for Blood Urea Nitrogen is: Blood
Preparation for Blood Urea Nitrogen
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Blood Urea Nitrogen?
- As a part of routine health check up, kidney function test or basic metabolic panel
- If you have signs or symptoms of kidney disease like swelling or puffiness around the eyes; face;wrists, blood in urine, decrease amount of urine, poor appetite, mid back pain, high blood pressure
- It may also be ordered to monitor your kidney function if you have chronic disease like diabetes, myocardial infarct or heart failure
- To monitor the effectiveness of dialysis
What Results of Blood Urea Nitrogen mean?
- Increased BUN level suggest kidney dysfunction which may be due to acute or chronic kidney disease, or rarely due to congestive heart failure, stress, shock, dehydration etc
- Low BUN levels are not common and usually not a cause for concern. It may be seen in severe liver disease or malnutrition.
Patient Concerns about Blood Urea Nitrogen
Frequently Asked Questions about Blood Urea Nitrogen
Q. What other tests are used along with BUN to test the function of my kidneys?
BUN and Creatinine are two primary tests which are used to test kidney function.
Q. Does diet influence the BUN levels?
Yes, high protein diet can lead to increased BUN levels.
Trident Diagnostics - A unit of Trident Diagnostics & Healthcare Pvt. Ltd. is a holistic healthcare centre built on the tenets of accuracy, accessibility and affordability, a vision that has enabled quality healthcare convenience to everyone. Our omnibus service includes laboratory and diagnostic testing, subject expert consultation and a fully equipped pharmacy. Our dynamic team of highly qualified clinical trial professionals cater to routine as well as critical diagnostic services, discharging professional responsibilities with highest sense of integrity.\r\nStrategically located in West Bengaluru, Trident Diagnostics is spread over a sprawling area of 5000 sqft, divided categorically into 3 floors. Our fully automated and bar coded laboratory boosts of state-of-the-art infrastructure equipped with cutting edge technologically precise lab and diagnostic equipment and practices. Our core focus areas include but not limited to clinical pathology, hematology, hormones and histopathology with imaging services in Radiology, Cardiology and Gynecology to name a few. We operate hub and spoke model for sample collection and our collection centres are fanned out across the city with many Lab-to-Lab tie-ups. We have a team of dedicated riders and phlebotomists and are capable of outstation sample collection with reporting. We also provide home sample collection for our customers with a simple booking procedure over the phone. We manage round-the-clock laboratory at Sri Rama Multi Specialty Hospital and Trauma Centre in Sunkadakatte and have tie up with leading insurance aggregators. The entire team at Trident Diagnostics work towards the sole motto \Sarve Janah Sukhino Bhavanthu\. We are dedicated to all the ethical and moral standards of Lab technology that help our doctors and patients to get accurate and precise reports at the minimum turnaround-time at a right value.