Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Total Iron Binding Capacity
It may be ordered as a part of iron profile when your doctor suspects that you have either deficiency of iron or overload. Mostly, it is ordered when your CBC or peripheral smear shows that you have microcytic hypochromic anemia. Most common symptoms of anemia are fatigue, weakness, pale skin, headaches.
Why Get Tested
- If you have signs or symptoms of iron deficiency anemia like pallor, fatigue, weakness, headaches
- If your CBC shows that your hemoglobin and hematocrit are low and RBC’s are smaller and paler than normal which usually suggest iron deficiency anemia
- If you have signs or symptoms of increased accumolation of iron in the body like joint pain, abdominal pain, fatigue, loss of body hair
- Do not eat or drink anything except water at least 9 to 12 hours before the test.
What Results of Total Iron Binding Capacity mean?
The results of TIBC are usually read in conjunction with other iron tests.
- A high TIBC usually indicates iron deficiency anemia but can also be increased in pregnancy
- A low TIBC may be associated with hemochromatosis, sideroblastic anemia, liver disease, malnutrition
Thyrocare Technologies Limited is India's first and most advanced Totally Automated Laboratory having its strong presence in more than 2000 cities / towns in India and internationally. Thyrocare isRead More
Excellent service and delivery in very short period. Highly impressive
Himadri Shekhar Das