Overview of Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect)
What is Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect)?
It is usually ordered when you have signs or symptoms of liver damage, liver disease like jaundice, dark urine, nausea, vomiting; when you have evidence of bile duct blockage or hemolytic anemia. Sometimes, it is also ordered in newborns with jaundice.
The sample type collected for Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect) is: Blood
Preparation for Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect)
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect)?
- If you have signs or symptoms of liver disease like dark colored urine, jaundice, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, fatigue
- As a part of liver function test or routine health check up
- If you have a history of taking excess amounts of alcohol
- If you have been exposed to hepatitis causing virus
- If you have symptoms or signs of hemolytic anemia like pale skin, jaundice, splenomegaly
- In newborns, to monitor neonatal jaundice
What Results of Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect) mean?
- Increased total bilirubin which is mainly unconjugated may be due to hemolytic anemia, transfusion reactions
- Increased total bilirubin which is mainly conjugated may be due to viral hepatitis, drug reactions, alcoholic liver disease, gall stones or any obstruction in the bile ducts
- Low levels of bilirubin are usually not a cause for concern and therefore not monitored
Tests Included in Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect)(3 tests)
- Bilirubin Direct
- Bilirubin Indirect
Multi-specialty clinics by The Family Doctor were established with the objective to provide an elevated standard of healthcare to the entire family unit of grandparents, parents and their children. Presently operating in Bangalore and Pune, we are constantly trying to expand our horizon and extend our clinic services into patient homes. Our proximity to residences in the neighbourhood enable our clinics to provide Doctor visits and Nurse visits at home along with Home Nursing Care services. Our varied range of clinical services provides you with the assurance of quality healthcare while following a hassle-free procedure. Our clinics are your first stop to receiving care for your entire family. Apart from regular full time dedicated General Physicians, all the family doctor clinics have visiting specialists including Gynecologists, Pediatricians, Physiotherapists, Orthopedics, Dermatologists, Diabetologists, ENT specialists etc.Our emphasis is on providing comprehensive family care within a clean environment. A welcoming reception with private consultation rooms, a minor procedures room and the family pharma are part of every unit of the family doctor.