Overview of Complete Blood Count
What is Complete Blood Count?
It includes the evaluation of your Red blood cell, white blood cell and platelet count. It is done as a part of your routine health check up, if you have symptoms of anemia, infection or any kind of bleeding disorders, to monitor the effectiveness of treatment once the diagnosis of anemia is established, and to monitor treatment that is known to affect blood cells. Get your CBC test done before any surgery or procedure.
The sample type collected for Complete Blood Count is: Blood
Preparation for Complete Blood Count
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Complete Blood Count?
- As a part of routine health check up or package
- It is one of the preliminary tests done to screen for a wide range of diseases and conditions
- Help diagnose various conditions like anemia, infection, bleeding disorders, inflammation, leukemia
- Monitor the effectiveness of treatment after a diagnosis is established
- Monitor treatment that is known to affect blood cells such as chemotherapy or radiotherapy
What Results of Complete Blood Count mean?
- Decreased level of hemoglobin is suggestive of anemia while increased levels are seen in polycythemia. Various causes of anemia are iron deficiency anemia, vitamin B 12 deficiency anemia, hemolytic anemia
- High WBC count is associated with infections, inflammatory disorders, leukemia, myeloproliferative disorders while low levels may be seen in aplastic anemia, bone marrow disorders, auto immune conditions
- High neutrophil count (neutrophilia) can be seen in acute bacterial infections, inflammation, burns while lower values (neutropenia) may be seen in aplastic anemia, autoimmune disorders, drug reactions or chemotherapy
- High lymphocyte count (lymphocytosis) may be seen in acute viral infections, tuberculosis, lymphocytic leukemia while lower values (lymphopenia) may be seen in bone marrow damage, aplastic anemia, autoimmune disorders
- High monocyte count (monocytosis) may be seen in chronic infections like tuberculosis, bacterial endocarditis, collagen vascular disorders, inflammatory bowel diseases while lower values may be seen in bone marrow damage
- High eosinophil count (eosinophilia) can be seen in asthma, allergies, drug reactions, parasitic infections, while lower levels are rare and medically insignificant
- High basophil count (basophilia) may be seen in chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) while lower levels are medically insignificant
- Low platelet counts also called as thrombocytopenia are associated with yiral infections like dengue fever, bleeding or platelet disorders
Tests Included in Complete Blood Count(24 tests)
- Packed Cell Volume
- Differential leucocyte Count(includes 6 tests)
Differential Eosinophil Count
Differential Neutrophil Count
Differential Monocyte Count
Differential Granulocyte Count
Differential Lymphocyte Count
Differential Basophil Count
- Absolute Monocyte Counts
- Red Blood Cell Count
- RDW SD
- Platelet Count
- Total Leucocyte Count
- Red Cell Distribution Width
- Mean Corpuscular Volume
- Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin
- Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin Concentration
- Mean Platelet Volume
For over a hundred years, human pathology has been one of the keystones of medicine and rightly so at SRL, we offer our patients world-class Pathology services because their well-being is of the utmost importance to us. Pathology is quite simply the scientific study of the overall response of your body to any foreign influence, i.e., disease. Actually, we use this knowledge to diagnose & subsequently treat your ailment. What we basically do is carefully compare the normal structure and function of a human body (anatomy and physiology) to the abnormal structure and function we witness in an unwell human. Doing this is the most crucial phase & we take note of even the minutest details while adjudging the extent of your ailment because one slip can lead to an incorrect diagnosis, posing serious threat to your health. Our experts ensure that they are extremely careful while analyzing the samples. This is where our advanced technology chips in. SRL is proud to host state-of-the-art equipments based on the latest technology for a speedy and accurate result. We do not take any chances whatsoever with your health & well-being. Avail our Pathology services with no hesitation. You are always in good hands with SRL.