Overview of IgE
What is IgE?
A total IgE test may be ordered when you have periodic or persistent symptoms that may be due to an allergic reaction. Symptoms may include those that suggest skin, respiratory, and/or digestive involvement, like itching, itchy eyes, eczema, nausea, vomiting, sneezing, coughing, difficulty breathing, or Asthma symptoms: wheezing, breathlessness, coughing, tightness in the chest. It is also ordered when a doctor suspects a parasitic infection.
Why is IgE done?
- If you have symptoms suggesting an allergic disorder like periodic or persistent itching, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, eczema, itchy eyes, sneezing, coughing etc.
- If your doctor is suspecting a parasitic infection
Preparation for IgE
- No special preparation required
Sample Type for IgE
The sample type collected for Total IgE is: Blood
Interpreting IgE results
- If your total IgE level is increased, it usually indicates that you are suffering from one or more allergies. Sometimes, increased levels are also associated with parasitic infections.
- An elevated IgE indicates an allergic process but does not indicate what a person is allergic to. In general, the greater the number of things a person is allergic to, the higher is the IgE level.
Answers to Patient Concerns & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about IgE
Frequently Asked Questions about Total IgE
Q. How effective is the skin test for allergies?
The skin of the arm is pricked by needle containing the specified allergen, causing a red swelling when positive. It is a very specific test but requires multiple pricks for each type of allergen to be tested.
About SRL LimitedFor over a hundred years, human pathology has been one of the keystones of medicine and rightly so at SRL, we offer our patients world-class Pathology services because their well-being is of the utmost importance to us. Pathology is quite simply the scientific study of the overall response of your body to any foreign influence, i.e., disease. Actually, we use this knowledge to diagnose & subsequently treat your ailment. What we basically do is carefully compare the normal structure and function of a human body (anatomy and physiology) to the abnormal structure and function we witness in an unwell human. Doing this is the most crucial phase & we take note of even the minutest details while adjudging the extent of your ailment because one slip can lead to an incorrect diagnosis, posing serious threat to your health. Our experts ensure that they are extremely careful while analyzing the samples. This is where our advanced technology chips in. SRL is proud to host state-of-the-art equipments based on the latest technology for a speedy and accurate result. We do not take any chances whatsoever with your health & well-being. Avail our Pathology services with no hesitation. You are always in good hands with SRL.
Available at Other Labs