NABL, CAP, ISO
Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Dehydroepiandrosterone Sulphate
This test is usually ordered when a girl has excess facial or body hair, acne, absence of menstrual periods, decreased breast size or a women has infertility; when a boy shows signs of early puberty, such as deep voice, pubic hair or muscle development.
Why Get Tested
- If a woman has signs or symptoms such as amenorrhea, infertility or those of virilization like deep voice, excess facial or body hair, acne, decreased breast size
- It may be ordered to evaluate the function of adrenal gland
- Do not eat or drink anything except water at least 9 to 12 hours before the test.
What Results of Dehydroepiandrosterone Sulphate mean?
- Normal DHEAS with normal androgen levels usually indicate that the adrenal gland is functioning normally
- A high DHEAS may indicate an adrenocortical tumor, Cushing's disease, adrenal cancer or adrenal hyperplasia. It is not diagnostic of a specific condition, further testing may then be required to confirm the diagnosis of the above mentioned conditions
- DHEAS may be elevated with polycystic ovarian syndrome
- A low level of DHEAS may be due to adrenal insufficiency, Addison's disease, hypopituitarism
With a decade of experience under its belt, Oncquest is known for its excellence in Clinical Diagnostics. From its first avatar as an R&D focused entity, Oncquest has evolved into a referenceRead More