Test Results & Interpretations
This test determines your blood group. Your blood type is determined by what kind of antigens your red blood cells have on their surface. The ABO blood typing system groups your blood into one of the four categories: Type A has the A antigen, Type B has the B antigen, Type AB has both A and B antigens while type O has no antigens on the surface. Another factor called Rh is also present on the surface which determines whether blood group is Rh positive or negative.
Why Get Tested
- When you need blood transfusion which may be required in case of severe anemia, bleeding after surgery, excessive blood loss, bleeding disorders
- When you donate blood at a collection facility
- When you become a candidate for an organ, tissue or bone marrow transplant or when you wish to become a donor for transplantation
- During pregnancy to determine the risk of Rh incompatibility
No special preparation required
- Your blood group may be expressed as A+, B+, O+, AB+, A-, B-,AB- or O-. The positive or negative indicates whether your RBC’ s contain Rh antigen or not
- Results in pregnant women will determine whether she is Rh positive or negative. This will further help in determining the future course of treatment
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Who are universal blood donors and recipients?
Universal blood donors have type O, Rh negative blood while universal recipients have type AB, Rh positive blood
Q. Why do I need to know my blood type?
You need to know your blood type so that whenever you need a blood transfusion, you can be immediately transfused blood
MEDCIS Pathlabs India Private Limited has emerged as a Clinical Investigation Services provider of world-class healthcare services at affordable costs, in all medical branches. With increased use ofRead More
Available at Other Labs