Overview of LDH
What is LDH?
This test measures the amount of an enzyme called lactate dehydrogenase that is an important marker for tissue injury anywhere in the body. It may be ordered, along with other tests such as a comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP), when your doctor suspects that a disease or condition is causing some degree of cellular or tissue damage. LDH levels may also occasionally be ordered when an individual has experienced muscle trauma or injury or when a person has signs and symptoms of hemolytic anemia. LDH testing may be ordered on a regular basis when an individual has been diagnosed with cancer.
Why is LDH done?
- As a part of comprehensive metabolic panel
- In many diseases, when your doctor suspects some cellolar or tissue damage
- If you have signs or symptoms of hemolytic anemia
- In certain cases, when some cancers are suspected
- If you have symptoms of meningitis like neck stiffness, severe headache, high fever, vomiting, rashes, then spinal fluid may be checked for LDH
Preparation for LDH
- No special preparation required
Sample Type for LDH
The sample type collected for Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum is: Blood
Interpreting LDH results
- Increased levels of Lactate Dehydrogenase usually indicate some type of tissue damage. Therefore, they may be elevated in a variety of conditions like hemolytic anemia, megaloblastic anemia, infections, acute kidney and liver diseases, testicular cancers and lymphoma. A high LDH level may indicate that the treatment for cancer has not been successful. The LDH level may also remain persistently high in some chronic and progressive conditions.
- Low levels of LDH usually do not indicate a problem. It may be seen when someone ingests large amount of ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)
Answers to Patient Concerns & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about LDH
Frequently Asked Questions about Lactate Dehyderogenase, Serum
Q. Is LDH used to diagnose heart attack?
Earlier LDH was used to diagnose an acute heart attack, but new, far more sensitive and specific tests have completely replaced it as a test for heart muscle injury.
About Dr Remedies Healthcare India Pvt LtdDr.Remedies is a Pioneer in diagnostic and interventional cardiology medical devices. We have robust distribution, sales Channels and support services of medical devices used in diagnostic, interventional cardiology and radiology procedures across southern and North-Eastern part of India. We innovative quality products and process-orientated services to the healthcare industry. We strive to be a strong and reliable partner - for both people and markets and to grow from our own strength. Sharing Expertise is the promise we give. It is a basis for building partnerships with our customers and employees. Through this promise we promote mutual transfer of knowledge and expertise between our customers and our employees. Our Vision to contribute and deliver better health care services has lead to the birth of Dr.Remedies labs a State of the Art Central Clinical Referral Laboratory based at Hyderabad. The primary goal of Dr.Remedies Labs is to establish a chain of Regional Labs across all important cities of the country by providing quality reports, fast turn around Time with Cost Effective Pricing. Dr.Remedies Labs offers complete range of investigations processed by highly skilled doctors and senior technicians to provide efficient, reliable and accurate lab services enhancing quality health care to and all.
Available at Other Labs