Vit B12 Binding Capacity, Unsaturated
Test Results & Interpretations
Vitamin B12 Binding Capacity Unsaturated (Transcobalamin), binds and transports vitamin B12 in the circulation. Increased concentrations are associated with patients with myeloproliferative disorders. Decreased concentrations are seen in individuals with Megaloblastic anemia or Transcobalamin deficiency.
Why Get Tested
- If you have symptoms of gastro intestinal disease like difficolty gaining weight, repeated diarrhea and/or vomiting, dizziness
- If you have signs or symtoms indicative of vitamin B12 deficinecy anemia like pale skin, dizziness, oral olcers, forgetfolness, confusion, rapid heart beat, poor appetite
- If you have symptoms like tingling numbness in hands/feet, muscle twitching
- If you have symptoms of liver disease or history of alcoholism
No special preparation required
- High levels of transcobalamine are rare and occur due to excessive nutritional supplements or injections
- Low levels of transcobalamine usually indicate megaloblastic anemia due to vitamin B12 deficiency which can be due to poor intake in diet, poor absorption from gut like Celiac disease
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Should everyone have vitamin B12 or folate tests done routinely?
These tests are usually not necessary if you do not have symptoms associated with deficiency like a complete blood count with blood smear showing large red cells or neutrophils with more than 5 lobes.
We focus on providing patients quality diagnostic healthcare services in India. Through our network, we offer patients convenient locations for their diagnostic healthcare services and efficientRead More