Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Phosphorus, Serum
This test is usually ordered as a follow up to an abnormal calcium test, or when you have symptoms of abnormal calcium like fatigue, muscle weakness, bone pain. Sometimes, it can also be ordered when you have symptoms suggestive of gastrointestinal or kidney disorder. If you are taking calcium or phosphorus supplements, this test is ordered at regular intervals to monitor treatment effectiveness.
Why Get Tested
- It is usually ordered as a follow up to an abnormal calcium test or when symptoms of abnormal calcium like fatigue, bone pains, muscle weakness or cramping are present
- Phosphorus testing may be ordered along with other tests when symptoms suggest kidney or gastrointestinal disorders
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
What Results of Phosphorus, Serum mean?
- Low levels of phosphorus (hypophosphatemia) may be associated with hypercalcemia, malnutrition, alcoholism, diabetic ketoacidosis, hypothyroidism, rickets and osteomalacia
- High levels of phosphorus (hyperphosphatemia) can be due to kidney failure, liver disease, hypoparathyroidism
Patient Concerns about Phosphorus, Serum
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are the good dietary sources of phosphorus?
The good dietary sources of phosphorus are meat, dairy products, lentils, beans, peanuts and almonds
It’s the first Bangalore based speciality lab. In Bangalore, they set the trend of DAILY reporting on advanced blood tests like thyroid function, infertility, cancer, meta bolic disorders and immunology.Their services are useful in diagnosing deep-set disorders related to child growth, debility, sleep, sex, weight, mood swings, stress etc.
Call me back.