Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Ferritin
Ferritin levels reflect iron stoes in normal individuals. A low serum ferritin level is an indicator of iron depletion. This assay is clinically useful in distinguishing between Iron deficiency anemia (low level) and anemia of chronic disease (normal or high level). It is also useful to assess iron overload conditions like Hemochromatosis. Ferritin is also an acute phase reactant.
Why Get Tested
- If you have signs or symptoms of iron deficiency anemia like pallor, fatigue, weakness, headaches
- If your CBC shows that your hemoglobin and hematocrit are low and RBC’s are smaller and paler than normal which usually suggest iron deficiency anemia
- If you have signs or symptoms of increased accumolation of iron in the body like joint pain, abdominal pain, fatigue, loss of body hair
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
What Results of Ferritin mean?
- Low ferritin levels usually suggest iron deficiency anemia
- High ferritin levels are seen in sideroblastic anemia, hemachromatosis, hemolytic anemia or after multiple blood transfusions
- Ferritin levels are not usually done alone. They should be read in conjunction with other tests for iron
- Ferritin is also an important acute phase reactant so can be increased in inflammation, liver disease, chronic infections etc.
Welcome to Asian Diagnostics, an organization that has been successfully delivering high quality medical Diagnostic Services in Karnataka and South India for over 15 years. Established in 1999, it is based out of Bangalore with branches in Mysore, Hassan and Vijayapura. Asian Diagnostics has continued to evolve over the years to cater to the needs of doctors and patients alike and offers an extensive range of clinical diagnostic tests making it a one-stop destination for the best in Diagnostic Services. Asian Diagnostics is proud to have successfully completed the NABL accreditation and is one of the few NABL Accredited Labs in Bangalore. Operated by a team of highly skilled and committed professionals, it has remained committed to its objective of providing high quality, accurate and reliable diagnostic services at affordable prices to its ever growing customer base. Asian diagnostics is currently THE LARGEST ALLERGY TEST CENTER IN INDIA. It is the first laboratory in the state to perform quantitative 'Food Intolerance' tests