Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate
This is a non specific test which helps detect any inflammation in your body. It is usually ordered if you are experiencing fever, weight loss, muscle pain or any symptoms which suggest an autoimmune disorders, arthritis or infections. This test is rarely performed alone, it is usually combined with other tests to determine the cause of symptoms.
Why Get Tested
- When your doctor thinks that you might have a condition causing inflammation like tubercolosis, arthritis, inflammatory bowel diseases or any autoimmune disorder
- When you have symptoms of vascolitis like fever, headaches, poor appetite, unexplained weight loss
- No special preparation required
What Results of Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate mean?
- Moderately elevated ESR occurs with inflammation but can also occur with anemia, infection, pregnancy
- A very high ESR usually has an obvious cause like severe infection, vasculitis like temporal arteritis etc
ESR is a non specific marker of inflammation and is affected by other factors. Therefore, the results are often interpreted with clinical findings and other investigations.
Patient Concerns about Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can the ESR become low as well?
Yes, low ESR can be seen with conditions like leucocytosis, polycythemia, or sickle cell anemia.
Welcome to Asian Diagnostics, an organization that has been successfully delivering high quality medical Diagnostic Services in Karnataka and South India for over 15 years. Established in 1999, it is based out of Bangalore with branches in Mysore, Hassan and Vijayapura. Asian Diagnostics has continued to evolve over the years to cater to the needs of doctors and patients alike and offers an extensive range of clinical diagnostic tests making it a one-stop destination for the best in Diagnostic Services. Asian Diagnostics is proud to have successfully completed the NABL accreditation and is one of the few NABL Accredited Labs in Bangalore. Operated by a team of highly skilled and committed professionals, it has remained committed to its objective of providing high quality, accurate and reliable diagnostic services at affordable prices to its ever growing customer base. Asian diagnostics is currently THE LARGEST ALLERGY TEST CENTER IN INDIA. It is the first laboratory in the state to perform quantitative 'Food Intolerance' tests