NABL, CAP, ISO
Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Total Leucocyte Count
This test is ordered as a part of CBC, which may be performed when an individual undergoes a routine health examination. It is also commonly ordered when you have signs and symptoms of infection like fever, body aches, headache. Sometimes, it may be ordered when a particular therapy known to affect the WBC’s such as radiation or chemotherapy is started.
Why Get Tested
- As a part of complete blood count or routine health check up
- If you have signs or symptoms of infections or inflammation like fever, chills, body aches, headache
- If your doctor is suspecting an autoimmune disorder
- It is also ordered periodically to monitor the effectiveness of treatment after radiation therapy or chemotherapy
- No special preparation required
What Results of Total Leucocyte Count mean?
- High TLC also called leucocytosis may be seen in a large number of conditions like infections usually bacterial or viral, inflammatory disorders like rheumatoid arthritis, leukemia and conditions that result in tissue death like trauma, burns etc
- Low TLC also called leucopenia can be seen in vitamin B12 deficiency, bone marrow damage with drugs, radiation, disease of immune system like HIV
Patient Concerns about Total Leucocyte Count
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. If I have an abnormal TLC, what other tests might my doctor order?
Depending upon your signs, symptoms, medical history and physical examination, your doctor may order a variety of tests like blood culture, urine culture, CRP, ESR, bone marrow biopsy or flow cytometry.
We focus on providing patients quality diagnostic healthcare services in India. Through our network, we offer patients convenient locations for their diagnostic healthcare services and efficientRead More