NABL, CAP, ISO
Overview of Malarial Parasite Identification
What is Malarial Parasite Identification?
Malaria is a life threatening disease that is typically transmitted through bite of an infected Anopheles mosquito. Peripheral smear examination is done to diagnose malarial parasite. For making a peripheral smear, a drop of blood is applied to and spread on a glass slide. It is then stained with a special stain and examined under the microscope to identify the different types of malarial parasite. Typically, two thick and two thin smears are prepared. These tests are currently the gold standard for malaria detection and identification. All four variants of malarial parasite i.e. Plasmodium Vivax, Plasmodium Ovale, Plasmodium Malariae and Plasmodium Falciparum can be identified.
The sample type collected for Malarial Parasite Identification is: Blood
Preparation for Malarial Parasite Identification
- No special preparation required
Why Get Tested for Malarial Parasite Identification?
- If you have signs or symptoms suggestive of malaria like fever with shaking chills, headaches, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, profuse sweating, headache
- As a part of fever panel
What Results of Malarial Parasite Identification mean?
- Thick smears are 20 to 40 times more sensitive than thin smears for screening of malarial parasite i.e. whether malarial parasite is present or not
- Thin smears allow for the detection or identification of malaria species
- Four different types of malarial parasite can be identified on the peripheral smear. These include Plasmodium vivax, Plasmodium Falciparum, Plasmodium Malariae and Plasmodium ovale
- Three different stages of the parasite can be identified. They include ring forms, schizonts and gametocyte
- The presence of malarial parasite on the smear indicates infection with malaria
- A negative test does not rule out malaria. Repeat tests may have to be done in all doubtful cases.
We focus on providing patients quality diagnostic healthcare services in India. Through our network, we offer patients convenient locations for their diagnostic healthcare services and efficient service. With over 3368 diagnostic and related healthcare tests and services offered, we believe we are capable of performing substantially all of the diagnostic healthcare tests and services currently prescribed by physicians in India. Our key competitive strengths are: Business model focused on the patient as a customer and an established consumer healthcare brand associated with quality services, in a market where patients generally choose their diagnostic healthcare service provider. Well-positioned to leverage upon one of the fastest-growing segments of the Indian healthcare industry. A network whose growth yields greater economies of scale, combined with a hub and spoke model that is scalable for further growth. Centralized information technology platform that fully integrates our network and is scalable. Attractive financial performance, financial profile and return on invested capital. Experienced leadership team with strong industry expertise and successful track record. Some of our laboratories have achieved International Organization for Standardization, or ISO, certification for their quality systems. Our National Reference Laboratory has obtained ISO 9001:2008 certification (for the performance of routine and advanced diagnostic pathology testing services, including clinical trials), ISO 15189:2007 (for quality management in medical laboratories), ISO 15189:2012 certification (in the field of medical testing) and ISO 27001:2013 certification (for establishing an effective information management system that maintains and processes information security at our data center).