Insulin - Post Prandial Test
What is Insulin-PP?
When you have low blood glucose levels with symptoms such as sweating, palpitations, dizziness, fainting; when you have diabetes and your health practitioner wants to monitor your insulin production; sometimes when it is suspected that you have insulin resistance.
Why is Insulin-PP done?
- If you have signs or symptoms of low blood glucose (hypoglycemia) like sweating, hunger, confusion, blurred vision, dizziness, palpitations and sometimes fainting
- In case of suspected type 2 diabetes, polycystic ovarian syndrome, heart disease or metabolic syndrome
- To determine the start of insolin therapy if you are a diabetic
- In case of suspected insolinoma
- To detect insolin resistance
Interpreting Insulin-PP results
- High insulin levels along with normal fasting glucose level indicate insulin resistance. Causes of high fasting insulin levels are acromegaly, Cushing syndrome, insulinomas, obesity
- Normal insulin level along with low fasting glucose level usually indicate hypoglycemia due to excess insulin
- Low insulin level with high fasting glucose level usually mean that there is not enough insulin produced by beta cells which may be seen in diabetes, pancreatitis
Answers to Patient Concerns & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Insulin-PP
Frequently Asked Questions about Insulin - Post Prandial Test