NABL, CAP, ISO
Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Liver Function Test
It includes a panel of tests which are done to evaluate the function of your liver. You should get this test done if you have any signs or symptoms of liver disease like jaundice, loss of appetite, nausea,vomiting,abdominal pain etc. It should also be ordered if you have risk factors for liver diseases like hepatitis virus infection, diabetes,high blood pressure, you are a chronic alcoholic or you have a family history of liver disease.
Why Get Tested
- If you have signs or symptoms of liver disease like loss of appetite, weakness, jaundice, abdominal pain, itching, nausea, vomiting
- If you are a chronic alcoholic
- If you have a history of exposure to hepatitis virus
- If you have a family history of liver disease
- If you are taking medicines which may affect your liver
- As a part of routine health check up
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
What Results of Liver Function Test mean?
- Bilirubin - Raised in most of the acute or chronic conditions affecting liver like viral hepatitis, alcoholic hepatitis, bile duct obstruction
- AST & ALT - They are liver enzymes. Very high levels of AST and ALT are usually associated with acute hepatitis while moderately increased levels may be seen in chronic hepatitis. ALT is usually higher than AST in acute liver damage and in auto immune disorders while AST is higher than ALT in alcoholic hepatitis, cirrhosis, cancer
- Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP) - is an enzyme which is increased often to four times normal in obstruction of the bile ducts. It can be mildly increased in other conditions affecting the liver like cirrhosis, liver cancer
- Gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT) - Increased GGT levels are most commonly seen in alcoholic liver disease
- PT (Prothrombin time) - Increased PT levels may sometimes be seen in liver disease
Liver function test is a panel of tests and the results should be interpreted keeping all the values in mind
Tests Included in Liver Function Test(11 tests)
- Aspartate Aminotransferase
- Alkaline Phosphatase
- Protein Total, Serum(includes 4 tests)
Albumin/Globulin Ratio, Serum
- Gamma Glutamyl Transferase
- Alanine Transaminase
- Bilirubin (Total, Direct and Indirect)(includes 3 tests)
Thyrocare Technologies Limited is India's first and most advanced Totally Automated Laboratory having its strong presence in more than 2000 cities / towns in India and internationally. Thyrocare isRead More
Service was very excellent
Best service. On time delivery if reports. They did what they said.