NABL, CAP, ISO
Test Results & Interpretations
Overview of Hemoglobin (Hb) Electrophoresis by HPLC
This assay is useful in the diagnosis of disorders associated with abnormal forms of hemoglobin like sickle cell anemia, thalassemia.
Why Get Tested
- If you have signs or symptoms of hemolytic anemia like jaundice, fatigue, pale skin or splenomegaly
- If your complete blood count and peripheral smear indicate that you may have an abnormal form of hemoglobin
- It is commonly done as a part of newborn screening
- It may used for prenatal screening if a parent is at high risk
- No special preparation required
What Results of Hemoglobin (Hb) Electrophoresis by HPLC mean?
All the results should be carefully interpreted in correlation with the patient's signs and symptoms and other laboratory findings.
- Presence of high level of sickle cell hemoglobin (HbS ) on HPLC denotes either sickle cell trait or sickle cell anemia
- Increased levels of fetal hemoglobin (HbF) on HPLC is associated with beta thalassemia major. Sometimes, it can also be seen in sickle cell anemia
- High HbA2 levels are mostly associated with beta thalassemia minor or trait. Recent studies say that HbA2 level between 4 to 9% is diagnostic of beta thalassemia trait
- Other less common hemoglobins which can be detected are hemoglobin D, J, G, M etc.
Thyrocare Technologies Limited is India's first and most advanced Totally Automated Laboratory having its strong presence in more than 2000 cities / towns in India and internationally. Thyrocare isRead More
Service was very excellent
Best service. On time delivery if reports. They did what they said.