Overview of Ferritin
What is Ferritin?
Ferritin levels reflect iron stoes in normal individuals. A low serum ferritin level is an indicator of iron depletion. This assay is clinically useful in distinguishing between Iron deficiency anemia (low level) and anemia of chronic disease (normal or high level). It is also useful to assess iron overload conditions like Hemochromatosis. Ferritin is also an acute phase reactant.
The sample type collected for Ferritin is: Blood
Preparation for Ferritin
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
Why Get Tested for Ferritin?
- If you have signs or symptoms of iron deficiency anemia like pallor, fatigue, weakness, headaches
- If your CBC shows that your hemoglobin and hematocrit are low and RBC’s are smaller and paler than normal which usually suggest iron deficiency anemia
- If you have signs or symptoms of increased accumolation of iron in the body like joint pain, abdominal pain, fatigue, loss of body hair
What Results of Ferritin mean?
- Low ferritin levels usually suggest iron deficiency anemia
- High ferritin levels are seen in sideroblastic anemia, hemachromatosis, hemolytic anemia or after multiple blood transfusions
- Ferritin levels are not usually done alone. They should be read in conjunction with other tests for iron
- Ferritin is also an important acute phase reactant so can be increased in inflammation, liver disease, chronic infections etc.
Vidhi Labs has started with small beginning with small team of 3 people. All the investigations were done manually. With committed and sustained efforts to improve the quality of services, the laboratory adopted technology-based equipments and processes with continual up gradation. VIDHI LABS achieved another milestone, NABL Accreditation from the year 2013. It is with great pride and pleasure that we take you the journey of technological milestones that we established during the up gradation process of VIDHI LABS. Next step was to expand the services for growth, hence Vidhi Wellness Private Limited was Launched. VWPL is an emerging organization with various services in healthcare and wellness. We are offering Specialized Infertility Diagnosis, Regenerative Medicine as a part of Diagnostic services. Addition of Wellness Projects have made us more strong player in the healthcare field. Slimming, Hair & Skin services are the new venture of Vidhi Wellness Private Limited with the name of PRAVY.