Overview of Calcium
What is Calcium?
A blood calcium test is ordered as a part of routine metabolic panel; when you have symptoms of kidney, thyroid or parathyroid disorders; when you have symptoms of high calcium such as weakness, nausea, vomiting, constipation, abdominal pain or low calcium like abdominal cramps, muscle cramps, tingling fingers. Sometimes, calcium monitoring is also done when you have been diagnosed with certain cancers like breast, lung or kidney.
The sample type collected for Calcium is: Blood
Preparation for Calcium
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
Why Get Tested for Calcium?
- As a part of routine health screening or metabolic panel
- If you have symptoms suggesting bone disease, kidney stones, neurologic disorder, thyroid or parathyroid disorder
- If you have symptoms of high calcium like fatigue, weakness, nausea, vomiting, constipation, abdominal pain
- If you have symptoms of low calcium like muscle cramps, abdominal cramps or tingling fingers
- Calcium monitoring is also necessary if you have certain types of cancer like breast, kidney, lung or moltiple myeloma
What Results of Calcium mean?
- High total calcium also called as hypercalcemia is seen commonly in hyperparathyroidism or certain cancers and rarely in hyperthyroidism, sarcoidosis, tuberculosis
- Low total calcium or hypocalcemia is seen in liver disease or malnutrition, alcoholism, hypoparathyroidism, decreased levels of vitamin D, renal failure etc.
Vidhi Labs has started with small beginning with small team of 3 people. All the investigations were done manually. With committed and sustained efforts to improve the quality of services, the laboratory adopted technology-based equipments and processes with continual up gradation. VIDHI LABS achieved another milestone, NABL Accreditation from the year 2013. It is with great pride and pleasure that we take you the journey of technological milestones that we established during the up gradation process of VIDHI LABS. Next step was to expand the services for growth, hence Vidhi Wellness Private Limited was Launched. VWPL is an emerging organization with various services in healthcare and wellness. We are offering Specialized Infertility Diagnosis, Regenerative Medicine as a part of Diagnostic services. Addition of Wellness Projects have made us more strong player in the healthcare field. Slimming, Hair & Skin services are the new venture of Vidhi Wellness Private Limited with the name of PRAVY.