Test Results & Interpretations
This test is mostly ordered as a part of liver function tests; when you have symptoms of a liver disorder like loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, jaundice, itching or bone disease like bone pains.
Why Get Tested
- As a part of liver function test
- If you have signs or symptoms of a liver disorder like loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, abdominal pain, jaundice, itching
- If you have signs or symptoms of bone disease like bone pain, increased frequency of fractures
No special preparation required
- High Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP) usually indicates either the liver has been damaged or there is bone disease
- Greatly increased ALP level may be associated with blockage of bile ducts as in gall stones or cancer and in Paget's disease of bones
- Moderately elevated level can be seen in liver diseases like hepatitis, cirrhosis and in other conditions like ulcerative colitis, congestive heart failure, Hodgkin's lymphoma
- Low levels of ALP may be seen temporarily in blood transfusion or heart bypass surgery
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are the other tests used to evaluate bone disease?
The other tests which can be used for bone diseases are calcium, phosphorus, vitamin D, Parathyroid hormone levels. Many radiological tests can also be used.
Triesta Sciences, an unit of HEALTH CARE GLOBAL (HCG) Enterprises Limited is the state-of-the-art one point solution for oncology diagnostics, biomarker and translational research, laboratoryRead More