Overview of Calcium
What is Calcium?
A blood calcium test is ordered as a part of routine metabolic panel; when you have symptoms of kidney, thyroid or parathyroid disorders; when you have symptoms of high calcium such as weakness, nausea, vomiting, constipation, abdominal pain or low calcium like abdominal cramps, muscle cramps, tingling fingers. Sometimes, calcium monitoring is also done when you have been diagnosed with certain cancers like breast, lung or kidney.
The sample type collected for Calcium is: Blood
Preparation for Calcium
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water for 8-12 hours before the test.
Why Get Tested for Calcium?
- As a part of routine health screening or metabolic panel
- If you have symptoms suggesting bone disease, kidney stones, neurologic disorder, thyroid or parathyroid disorder
- If you have symptoms of high calcium like fatigue, weakness, nausea, vomiting, constipation, abdominal pain
- If you have symptoms of low calcium like muscle cramps, abdominal cramps or tingling fingers
- Calcium monitoring is also necessary if you have certain types of cancer like breast, kidney, lung or moltiple myeloma
What Results of Calcium mean?
- High total calcium also called as hypercalcemia is seen commonly in hyperparathyroidism or certain cancers and rarely in hyperthyroidism, sarcoidosis, tuberculosis
- Low total calcium or hypocalcemia is seen in liver disease or malnutrition, alcoholism, hypoparathyroidism, decreased levels of vitamin D, renal failure etc.
Thyrocare Technologies Limited is India's first and most advanced Totally Automated Laboratory having its strong presence in more than 2000 cities / towns in India and internationally. Thyrocare is India's first fully automated diagnostic laboratory with a focus on providing quality at affordable costs to laboratories and hospitals in India and other countries. Thyrocare operates with a Centralized Processing Laboratory (CPL) in Mumbai - India for esoteric tests; and Regional Processing Laboratory in major metro cities of India and other parts of Asia. We have focus on strong technologies, strong brands and strong systems that enable all laboratories to give their clients the best of science and technology at an affordable cost. With a belief that 'Quality' is the heart of any intelligent management, Thyrocare became one of the first Indian diagnostic laboratories to obtain internationally renowned quality accreditations like ISO 9001-2000 rating as early as 2001, which is now escalated to ISO 9001:2008; NABL (National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories) in 2005 and CAP (College of American Pathologists) certification in 2007.
Excellent service and delivery in very short period. Highly impressive
Himadri Shekhar Das