Test Results & Interpretations
This test is used to monitor treatment for ovarian cancer or to detect recurrence; sometimes to evaluate a pelvic mass and it can also be ordered to help detect early ovarian cancer in those identified as being at high risk.
Why Get Tested
- If you have a pelvic mass and the doctor is suspecting ovarian cancer
- When you start treatment for ovarian cancer to monitor further therapy or detect recurrence
- Along with a transvaginal oltrasound, it may be ordered to monitor women who have a high risk for ovarian cancer but have no disease as yet
No special preparation required
- When used during ovarian cancer therapy, if the level of CA 125 falls during therapy, it generally indicates that the cancer is responding to treatment. If it rises or stays the same, the cancer may not be responding. High CA 125 after completion of treatment may indicate that the cancer has come back
- In a women with a pelvic mass and in a women with high risk of developing ovarian cancer, a significantly elevated CA 125 is a concern but does not necessarily indicate ovarian cancer and should be confirmed by other tests
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Are there any other conditions except ovarian cancer which might lead to elevated CA 125 levels?
The levels of this marker might increase in pregnancy, menstruation, endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease.
Q. What are the other risk factors for ovarian cancer?
Family history, age, obesity and use of hormone replacement therapy are some of the other risk factors for ovarian cancer.
Thyrocare Technologies Limited is India's first and most advanced Totally Automated Laboratory having its strong presence in more than 2000 cities / towns in India and internationally. Thyrocare isRead More
Excellent service and delivery in very short period. Highly impressive
Himadri Shekhar Das