NABL, CAP, ISO
Overview of Hemoglobin (Hb) Electrophoresis by HPLC
What is Hemoglobin (Hb) Electrophoresis by HPLC?
This assay is useful in the diagnosis of disorders associated with abnormal forms of hemoglobin like sickle cell anemia, thalassemia.
Why is Hemoglobin (Hb) Electrophoresis by HPLC done?
- If you have signs or symptoms of hemolytic anemia like jaundice, fatigue, pale skin or splenomegaly
- If your complete blood count and peripheral smear indicate that you may have an abnormal form of hemoglobin
- It is commonly done as a part of newborn screening
- It may used for prenatal screening if a parent is at high risk
Preparation for Hemoglobin (Hb) Electrophoresis by HPLC
- No special preparation required
Sample Type for Hemoglobin (Hb) Electrophoresis by HPLC
The sample type collected for Hemoglobin (Hb) Electrophoresis by HPLC is: Blood
Interpreting Hemoglobin (Hb) Electrophoresis by HPLC results
All the results should be carefully interpreted in correlation with the patient's signs and symptoms and other laboratory findings.
- Presence of high level of sickle cell hemoglobin (HbS ) on HPLC denotes either sickle cell trait or sickle cell anemia
- Increased levels of fetal hemoglobin (HbF) on HPLC is associated with beta thalassemia major. Sometimes, it can also be seen in sickle cell anemia
- High HbA2 levels are mostly associated with beta thalassemia minor or trait. Recent studies say that HbA2 level between 4 to 9% is diagnostic of beta thalassemia trait
- Other less common hemoglobins which can be detected are hemoglobin D, J, G, M etc.
We focus on providing patients quality diagnostic healthcare services in India. Through our network, we offer patients convenient locations for their diagnostic healthcare services and efficient service. With over 3368 diagnostic and related healthcare tests and services offered, we believe we are capable of performing substantially all of the diagnostic healthcare tests and services currently prescribed by physicians in India. Our key competitive strengths are: Business model focused on the patient as a customer and an established consumer healthcare brand associated with quality services, in a market where patients generally choose their diagnostic healthcare service provider. Well-positioned to leverage upon one of the fastest-growing segments of the Indian healthcare industry. A network whose growth yields greater economies of scale, combined with a hub and spoke model that is scalable for further growth. Centralized information technology platform that fully integrates our network and is scalable. Attractive financial performance, financial profile and return on invested capital. Experienced leadership team with strong industry expertise and successful track record. Some of our laboratories have achieved International Organization for Standardization, or ISO, certification for their quality systems. Our National Reference Laboratory has obtained ISO 9001:2008 certification (for the performance of routine and advanced diagnostic pathology testing services, including clinical trials), ISO 15189:2007 (for quality management in medical laboratories), ISO 15189:2012 certification (in the field of medical testing) and ISO 27001:2013 certification (for establishing an effective information management system that maintains and processes information security at our data center).