Test Results & Interpretations
This test is used in women, when you are having difficulty getting pregnant or you have irregular menstrual periods; in men, when your partner cannot get pregnant or you have a low sperm count; when your doctor thinks you have symptoms of pituitary or hypothalamic disease.
Why Get Tested
- In adolt women, FSH test may be ordered if you have difficolty in getting pregnant or have irregolar menstrual periods
- For men, it is usually ordered when your partner cannot get pregnant or you have low sperm count, low sex drive
- If you have symptoms of a pituitary or hypothalamic disorder
- In children, this test may be ordered when a boy or girl does not appear to be entering puberty at an appropriate age (either too early or too late)
No special preparation required
- In women, increased levels of LH and FSH are seen in primary ovarian failure which may be due to any chromosomal abnormality, exposure to chemotherapy, radiation therapy, polycystic ovarian disease, thyroid disease
- In men, high FSH levels indicate primary testicular failure which may be due to chromosomal abnormality, viral infection, chemotherapy or radiotherapy
- Low levels of LH and FSH are seen in secondary ovarian or testicular failure and indicate a problem with pituitary or hypothalamus
- In young children, high levels of LH and FSH with the development of secondary sexual characteristics at an unusually young age indicates precocious puberty which is usually due to problem with the central nervous system
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are the tests which my doctor will order if I am unable to get pregnant?
The tests which are usually ordered for an infertility work up are LH, FSH, testosterone, progesterone, anti mullerian hormone.
Cellcare lab is a privately owned independent laboratory located in Ahmedabad that provides Surgical pathology, Cytology, Hematology, Microbiology and clinical pathology under direct supervision ofRead More