Information about Zoledronate
Zoledronate is used in the treatment of osteoporosis. It treats osteoporosis in postmenopausal women and men at high risk of fractures.
How zoledronate works
Zoledronate is a bisphosphonate. It acts by suppressing the activity of osteoclasts, cells that cause the destruction of bone, thereby strengthening the bones and minimizing the risk of fractures.
Common side effects of zoledronate
Musculoskeletal (bone, muscle or joint) pain, Headache, Heartburn, Difficulty in swallowing
Available Medicine for Zoledronate
- ₹2990Natco Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2950Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2949Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹3000Abbott1 variant(s)
- ₹2915Panacea Biotec Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2990Natco Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2933Dabur India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1637Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹3212Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹4002Novartis India Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Zoledronate
- Take Zoledronate in the morning on an empty stomach with water.
- Do not eat or drink for 30 minutes after taking Zoledronate.
- Maintain an upright posture for 30 minutes after taking Zoledronate.
- Inform your doctor if you experience pain in jaw, throat, chest, abdomen, hips or thighs.
- Inform your doctor if you are about to undergo any major dental procedures, as Zoledronate may need to be discontinued temporarily.
Frequently asked questions for Zoledronate
Q. Is zoledronic acid safe?
Zoledronic acid is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. What is Zobone injection used for?
Zobone is a trade name for active drug zoledronic acid. It is used to treat thinning and weakening of the bone (osteoporosis) and osteoporosis associated with long-term systemic glucocorticoid therapy in post-menopausal women and adult men at increased risk of fracture. It is also used to treat Paget's disease of the bone (disease causing enlarged and misshapen bones due to abnormal bone destruction and growth) in adults, to prevent bone complications, e.g. fractures, in adult patients due to spread of cancer from other organs to bone, to reduce the amount of calcium in the blood in adult patients where it is too high due to the presence of a tumor (tumor-induced hypercalcemia). Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. Is zoledronic acid a steroid/a chemotherapy drug/a bisphosphonate?
Zoledronic acid is not a steroid or a chemotherapy drug. Zoledronic acid belongs to a class of drugs known as bisphosphonates. It is used to treat thinning and weakening of bones, which may also be associated with cancer.
Q. How is zoledronic acid stored?
Your doctor, nurse or pharmacist knows how to store zoledronic acid properly. Zoledronic acid solution for infusion should preferably be used immediately after first opening. If it is not used immediately, it should be stored in a refrigerator at 2°C–8°C for not more than 24 hours
Q. How long do zoledronic acid side effects last?
Side effects like flu-like symptoms, fever, headache, chills, and bone, joint or muscle pain may begin during the first 3 days after receiving zoledronic acid injection and may last 3 to 14 days.The duration of other side effects will depend upon its severity, intensity and the system involved, which would be adjudged by your doctor. Consult your doctor for any side effect and its treatment
Q. How long does zoledronic acid stay in the body?
After you stop taking zoledronic acid, as per the reports it can stay in your blood for approximately 146 hours and in your bones for a very long period of time.