Information about Zoledronate
Zoledronate is used in the treatment of Osteoporosis.
How zoledronate works
Zoledronate inhibits the activity of osteoclasts, cells that cause loss of bone.
Common side effects of zoledronate
Headache, Abdominal distension, Acid reflux, Abdominal pain, Difficulty in swallowing, Dyspepsia, Flatulence, Musculoskeletal (bone, muscle or joint) pain, Diarrhoea, Constipation, Esophageal ulcer
Available Medicine for Zoledronate
- ₹2950Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2949Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹3000Abbott India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2990Natco Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2933Dabur India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹3212Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹18110Novartis India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2380Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1519Panacea Biotec Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹2569 to ₹3017Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Zoledronate
- Do take calcium, vitamin D supplements, in addition to adequate amount of water as directed by your doctor. However, avoid excess water intake (over hydration) if you are at risk of heart failure.)
- Do not take zoledronic acid
- If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to the zoledronic acid, to any bisphosphonates or to any of the other ingredients of the zoledronic acid
- If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding
- If you have low blood calcium level (hypocalcaemia)
- If you have severe kidney problem with creatinine clearance < 35 ml/min
- Zoledronic acid should not be used in adolescents and children below the age of 18 years.
- Do talk to your doctor or pharmacist:
- If you have or have had a kidney problem
- If you have or have had pain, swelling or numbness of the jaw, a feeling of heaviness in the jaw or loosening of a tooth.
- If you are having dental treatment or are due to undergo dental surgery
- If you are elderly
- If you are unable to take daily calcium supplements.
- If you have had some or all of the parathyroid glands in your neck surgically removed.
- If you have had sections of your intestine removed.
Frequently asked questions for Zoledronate
Q. Is zoledronic acid safe?
Zoledronic acid is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. What is Zobone injection used for?
Zobone is a trade name for active drug zoledronic acid. It is used to treat thinning and weakening of the bone (osteoporosis) and osteoporosis associated with long-term systemic glucocorticoid therapy in post-menopausal women and adult men at increased risk of fracture. It is also used to treat Paget's disease of the bone (disease causing enlarged and misshapen bones due to abnormal bone destruction and growth) in adults, to prevent bone complications, e.g. fractures, in adult patients due to spread of cancer from other organs to bone, to reduce the amount of calcium in the blood in adult patients where it is too high due to the presence of a tumor (tumor-induced hypercalcemia). Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. Is zoledronic acid a steroid/a chemotherapy drug/a bisphosphonate?
Zoledronic acid is not a steroid or a chemotherapy drug. Zoledronic acid belongs to a class of drugs known as bisphosphonates. It is used to treat thinning and weakening of bones, which may also be associated with cancer.
Q. How is zoledronic acid stored?
Your doctor, nurse or pharmacist knows how to store zoledronic acid properly. Zoledronic acid solution for infusion should preferably be used immediately after first opening. If it is not used immediately, it should be stored in a refrigerator at 2°C–8°C for not more than 24 hours
Q. How long do zoledronic acid side effects last?
Side effects like flu-like symptoms, fever, headache, chills, and bone, joint or muscle pain may begin during the first 3 days after receiving zoledronic acid injection and may last 3 to 14 days.The duration of other side effects will depend upon its severity, intensity and the system involved, which would be adjudged by your doctor. Consult your doctor for any side effect and its treatment
Q. How long does zoledronic acid stay in the body?
After you stop taking zoledronic acid, as per the reports it can stay in your blood for approximately 146 hours and in your bones for a very long period of time.