Information about Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol
How trihexyphenidyl/benzhexol works
Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol is an anticholinergic medication. It works by decreasing the activity of a chemical messenger (acetylcholine) in the brain. This improves muscle control and reduces stiffness in Parkinson's disease. It also improves movement disorder (restlessness, involuntary movements or muscle spasm) caused by certain other medicines.
Common side effects of trihexyphenidyl/benzhexol
Dryness in mouth, Nausea, Vomiting, Constipation, Blurred vision, Dizziness, Stomach upset, Headache, Difficulty in urination, Nervousness
Available Medicine for Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol
- ₹39Pfizer Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹24Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹13 to ₹128Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹12Shine Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹12Talent India1 variant(s)
- ₹15Tas Med India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹33 to ₹60Mova Pharmaceutical Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹12Arinna Lifescience Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹11Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹7Baroda Pharma Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol
- Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol helps treat Parkinson's disease and drug-induced abnormal movements.
- Dry mouth may occur as a side effect. Frequent mouth rinses, good oral hygiene, increased water intake and sugarless candy may help.
- It may cause dry eyes. Avoid wearing contact lenses and inform your doctor if it bothers you.
- It may cause dizziness and sleepiness. Do not drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Inform your doctor if you suffer from glaucoma or if you have trouble passing urine.
- Do not stop taking Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol without talking to your doctor first as that may cause worsening of symptoms.
Frequently asked questions for Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol
Q. What is Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol used for?
Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol is used in the management of Parkinson's disease as an add-on medicine along with other medicines. It helps by improving muscle control and reducing the stiffness of the muscle so that they can move naturally. Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol can also be used to treat movement disorders (extreme restlessness, involuntary movements or muscle spasms) which can be caused by certain drugs.
Q. How does Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol work?
Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol works by blocking the action of a chemical messenger known as acetylcholine on the nerves of the smooth muscles; thereby, reducing the muscle spasm (involuntary contraction of a muscle or group of muscles), tremor (uncontrolled shaking) and excessive salivation associated with Parkinson's disease.
Q. Is Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol a narcotic substance?
No, Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol is not a narcotic substance. Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol is an antispasmodic(muscle relaxing) medicine and belongs to a group of medicines known as anticholinergics.
Q. Is Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol safe?
Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol is a safe medicine if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by the doctor.
Q. What is Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol?
Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol is an antispasmodic (muscle relaxing) drug and belongs to a group of drugs known as 'anticholinergics'.
Q. Does Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol get you high?
Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol has been reported to get you a high. Please use this drug only for prescribed duration in doses as recommended by your doctor.
Q. Does Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol cause weight gain?
Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol has not been seen to cause weight gain. However, weight loss has been reported with Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol in children. Please consult your doctor in case you experience an unexpected change in your weight while you are taking Trihexyphenidyl/Benzhexol.