Information about Dabigatran
Dabigatran is used for deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism and stroke prevention. It is used to prevent blood clots in the veins after knee or hip replacement surgery. It is also used to prevent stroke in patients who have atrial fibrillation.
How dabigatran works
Dabigatran is a novel oral anticoagulant (NOAC). It works by preventing the formation of blood clots in the body.
Common side effects of dabigatran
Available Medicine for Dabigatran
- ₹240 to ₹260Lupin Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹250 to ₹275Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹718Boehringer Ingelheim3 variant(s)
- ₹200 to ₹300Alkem Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹320 to ₹380Natco Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹200 to ₹280Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹240MSN Laboratories1 variant(s)
- ₹250 to ₹300Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹300Abbott3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Dabigatran
- Good medication for preventing blood clots.
- For best results, take Dabigatran at the same time every day.
- Doesn't require regular blood tests (PT-INR).
- Interacts less with food or other medicines; hence doesn’t require frequent dose changes.
- Dabigatran increases your risk of bleeding. Be careful while shaving, cutting fingernails or toenails, using sharp objects or engaging in contact sports (e.g. football, wrestling).
- Notify your doctor if you see blood in your vomit, urine or stool (black, tarry stools or bright red blood).
- Notify your doctor if you have any kidney problem.
- If you are going to have a surgery or dental treatment, you may be asked to stop taking Dabigatran temporarily.
- There are antidotes to stop bleeding caused by overdose of Dabigatran.
Frequently asked questions for Dabigatran
Q. Who should not take Dabigatran?
People who are presently experiencing any unusual bleeding or are allergic to Dabigatran should not take it. Dabigatran is also not for use in people with artificial (prosthetic) heart valves. Therefore, do not take it if you have ever had or plan to have a valve in your heart replaced.