Information about Acarbose
Acarbose is used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. It is used along with diet and exercise to improve blood sugar control in adults with type 2 diabetes.
How acarbose works
Acarbose is an anti-diabetic medication. It inhibits an enzyme that helps in conversion of carbohydrates to glucose. This slows down carbohydrate digestion/absorption thereby preventing increase in blood glucose after meals.
Common side effects of acarbose
Skin rash, Flatulence, Abdominal pain, Diarrhea
Available Medicine for Acarbose
- ₹79 to ₹139Bayer Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹68 to ₹1200Alkem Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹80 to ₹141Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹31Elder Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹96Bal Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹57 to ₹97Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹68 to ₹117Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹70Shreya Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹63Dial Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹64East West Pharma1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Acarbose
- Acarbose lowers your post-meal blood sugar levels. Therefore, it should be taken just before meals.
- Side effects such as stomach pain, gas, and diarrhea may occur during the first few weeks of treatment but should get better with time.
Frequently asked questions for Acarbose
Q. Can the use of Acarbose cause weight loss?
Yes, use of Acarbose along with exercise and healthy diet can help you in reducing weight.
Q. Does Acarbose cause hypoglycemia?
No, Acarbose does not cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) on its own. However, low blood sugar can occur if you are taking Acarbose along with another blood sugar-lowering medicine. The blood sugar levels can decrease if you delay or miss a meal or snack, exercise more than usual or drink alcohol.
Q. For how long does the effect of Acarbose last?
Generally, the effect of Acarbose lasts for up to 3-5 hours. However, the effect may vary from patient to patient.