- Do not start or continue the sitagliptin tablets if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to sitagliptin or any of the other ingredients of sitagliptin.
- Consult your doctor if you experience any of these side effects: stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, or loss of appetite, serious allergic reactions like skin rash, fever, swelling and difficulty in breathing.
Doctor’s advice should be considered before taking sitagliptin tablets in case of any following conditions such as:
- Type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis or diabetic coma.
- Kidney problems or liver problems.
- Severe infection or are dehydrated.
- Heart attack or have severe circulatory problems, such as shock or breathing difficulties.
- High triglycerides level.
- Stones in gall bladder.
- Inflammation of pancreas (pancreatitis).
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is sitagliptin/ Januvia safe?
Sitagliptin/ Januvia is safe at the prescribed dose by the doctor. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.
Q. Is sitagliptin/ Januvia generic?
Sitagliptin is generic drug; Januvia is a brand name of sitagliptin.
Q. Is sitagliptin/ Januvia banned in India?
No. Sitagliptin is available in India.
Q. Is sitagliptin better than vildagliptin?
Sitagliptin and vildagliptin belong to same class of drugs and are equally effective and safe in treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Always consult your doctor for an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required.
Q. Is sitagliptin FDA approved?
Yes. Sitagliptin is FDA approved.
Q. Is sitagliptin a statin/ insulin/ metformin?
No. Sitagliptin belongs to class of medications called dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitors and is a different drug than statin/insulin/metformin.
Q. Is sitagliptin/Januvia a blood thinner?
Sitagliptin/Januvia is specifically used for treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus and not a blood thinner. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.
Q. Can I take Januvia with metformin/ insulin/ glipizide/ Victoza/ Lantus/ glyburide/ glimepiride/ Actos / Byetta/ Bydureon?
Sitagliptin can be taken in combination with other antidiabetic drugs, when prescribed by doctor. Always follow doctor’s advice regarding its use.
Q. Does sitagliptin cause weight loss/ constipation/ joint pain/ itching/ hypoglycemia/ pancreatitis/ cancer/ dry mouth?
Sitagliptin may cause weight loss, constipation, itching, hypoglycemia, joint pain and pancreatitis. It does not cause cancer or dry mouth. However, consult your doctor if you experience any of these side effects.
Q. Does Januvia make you sleepy?
No. Januvia does not make you sleepy. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.