SALT INFORMATIONMetoprolol(50 mg)
Metoprolol is a beta-blocker and used to treat high blood pressure, fast and irregular heartbeat (cardiac arrhythmias especially supraventricular arrhythmia), chest pain (angina pectoris), overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism), heart failure, early intervention in heart attack (myocardial infarction) and to prevent migraine attacks.
How it works
It works by relaxing blood vessels and slowing heart rate to improve blood flow and decrease blood pressure.Early intervention and start of metoprolol in myocardial infarction reduces infarct size and the incidence of ventricular fibrillation.
Common side effects
Flatulence, Abdominal bloating, Itching, Skin rash, Nausea, Fatigue, Depression, Lightheadedness, Dry mouth, Constipation, Cold extremities, Stomach pain, Dizziness, Vomiting, Heartburn, Running nose, Rash
- PROLOMET 50 MG TABLET XL(10 tablet xl in strip)Sun Pharma Laboratories LtdRs. 5.62/tablet xlRs. 56.17save 11% more per tablet xl
- SELOKEN 50 MG TABLET XL(30 tablet xl in strip)Astra ZenecaRs. 5.81/tablet xlRs. 174.30save 8% more per tablet xl
- VINICOR XL 50 MG TABLET XL(10 tablet xl in strip)Ipca Laboratories LtdRs. 5.64/tablet xlRs. 56.44save 10% more per tablet xl
- PROTOL 50 MG TABLET XL(10 tablet xl in strip)Eris Life Sciences Pvt LtdRs. 5.81/tablet xlRs. 58.10save 8% more per tablet xl
- METOZAAR 50 MG TABLET XL(10 tablet xl in strip)Corona Remedies Pvt LtdRs. 3/tablet xlRs. 30save 52% more per tablet xl
Do not take metoprolol, if you are allergic to metoprolol or any of the other ingredients of the tablet.The drug can cause dizziness in the frst few days. If you feel dizzy or tired after using this medicine, do not drive or use any tools or machines.
- Avoid abrupt withdrawal especially in ischaemic heart disease.
- If you are taking the drug to control blood pressure, check your blood pressure after 1 week and consult your doctor it it has not improved.
- Consult your doctor before taking the drug, if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- The drug can hide symptoms of low blood sugar in diabetics. Be careful if you are a diabetic.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is metoprolol safe?
Metoprolol (also available as metolar XR 50/ met Xl/ metolar/ embeta XR) is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. Is metoprolol a diuretic/ beta blocker/statin/ MAOI/ ACE inhibitor or ARB/ calcium channel blocker?
Metoprolol belongs to the class of beta-blocker drug. It is not a diuretic, statin, MAOI, ACE inhibitor or calcium channel blocker.
Q. Is metoprolol tartrate the same as toprol XL?
Metoprolol tartrate and toprol XL are same and Toprol xl is the brand name of the generic drug metoprolol.
Q. Can I take metoprolol with amlodipine/ Nyquil /Xanax/ Aspirin/ Ibuprofen/ Benadryl/ Zoloft/ Lisinopril?
Metoprolol can be taken with amlodipine, Lisinopril, Xanax and Aspirin. It is advised to take Nyquil and Metoprolol with doctor’s advice, because Nyquil contains antihistamines which might elevate blood pressure. Ibuprofen is NSAID, which interacts with metoprolol and should be avoided. Metoprolol may slow down the heart rate, and diphenhydramine can cause drowsiness, so Benadryl should be taken only if needed and under doctor’s advice. Metoprolol tartrate oral will increase the level or effect of Zoloft (sertraline) by altering drug metabolism.
Q. Does metoprolol cause hair loss/ headache/ lower heart rate/ lower blood pressure/ weight gain/ memory loss/ itching/ cough/ itching/ gas?
Metoprolol may cause some of these effects. Always consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.