- Do not stop taking cefprozil even if you feel better as doing so may not clear infection completely.
- You may experience diarrhea after starting with this antibiotic, do not stop the medications without consulting your doctor.
- Take precautions if you have any kidney problems or are on diuretics, or have any gastrointestinal disease (colitis).
- Inform your doctor about the use of cefprozil as it may interfere with certain lab test results.
- Take precautions while taking cefprozil with aminoglycoside antibiotics and cephalosporin antibiotics as it may cause kidney toxicity.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is cefprozil safe during pregnancy?
Cefprozil can be taken during pregnancy if the benefit outweighs the risk. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use.
Q. Is it safe to use cefprozil during breastfeeding?
Cefprozil should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the baby. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use.
Q. Is cefprozil same as penicillin/ or related to penicillin or contain penicillin?
Both are ?-lactam group of antibiotics and cross sensitivity has been demonstrated.
Q. Is cefprozil a sulfa based drug?
No, cefprozil is not a sulpha based drug.
Q. Is cefprozil stronger than amoxicillin?
Such comparisons between antibiotics cannot be drawn as these medicines are used for different indications depending on the doctor’s clinical experience.
Q. Is cefprozil used for strep throat, sinus infection, and bronchitis?
Yes, cefprozil is prescribed for strep throat, sinus infection, and bronchitis.
Q. Can I take tylenol (paracetamol), advil (ibuprofen), Nyquil (cold and flu medication), mucinex (guaifenesin), and benadryl with cefprozil?
There are no known drug interaction of cefprozil with tylenol (paracetamol), advil (ibuprofen), Nyquil (cold and flu medication), mucinex (guaifenesin) and benadryl.
Q. Can you take cefprozil with milk?
Cefprozil should be taken with water and not milk.
Q. Does cefprozil treat urinary tract infections (UTI)?
No, cefprozil is mainly indicated for respiratory tract infections caused by susceptible bacteria.
Q. Does cefprozil interfere with birth control?
No, there no known effects of cefprozil on birth control.
Q. Does cefprozil make you tired?
Yes, cefprozil may make you feel tired and sleepy.