Substitutes for RASTINON
No substitutes found for this medicine
Medicine Overview of RASTINON TABLET
Uses of RASTINON TABLET
Rastinon 500mg tablet is used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
Side effects of RASTINON TABLET
Hypoglycemia (Low blood sugar level), Nausea, Headache, Dizziness.
How to use RASTINON TABLET
Take this medicine in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Swallow it as a whole. Do not chew, crush or break it. It is better to take Rastinon 500mg tablet with food.
How RASTINON TABLET works
Rastinon 500mg tablet is an anti-diabetic medication. It works by increasing the amount of insulin released by the pancreas in order to lower the blood glucose.
In Depth Information on RASTINON TABLET
Expert advice for RASTINON TABLET
- Tolbutamide should be taken with food.
- You may get symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level) with Tolbutamide. Symptoms are dizziness, nausea, tremor, sweating or confusion.
- The risk of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level) may increase if you miss or delay the meal, consume alcohol or use antidiabetic medication like insulin.
- In most cases, the symptoms will quickly vanish if you take some kind of sugar (sugar candy/cubes).
- It should be avoided or used with caution if you are also taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents (NSAIDs), alcohol, β-blockers and ACE inhibitors.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
- Do not change the dose without consulting your doctor.
Special precautions for RASTINON 500MG TABLET
WEIGH RISKS VS BENEFITS
Rastinon 500mg tablet may be unsafe to use during pregnancy.+more
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor....
Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the foetus, however, there are limited human studies. The benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. Please consult your doctor.
Rastinon 500mg tablet is probably unsafe to use during breastfeeding. Please consult your doctor.
Vision may be affected with this. Exercise caution if you have to drive or operate a machinery.
Should be used cautiously in patients with an underlying kidney disease. Please consult your doctor.
Should be used cautiously in patients with an underlying liver disease. Please consult your doctor.
Severely interacts with other drugs like
DECMAX 4MG TABLET, DECAMYCIN 4MG INJECTION, PERICORT 4MG TABLET, DEFCORT 6MG ORAL SUSPENSION
You should skip a dose of Tolbutamide , if a meal is skipped and add a dose of medicine if you eat an extra meal.
Frequently asked questions for RASTINON 500MG TABLET
Frequently asked questions for Tolbutamide
Q. What is tolbutamide/ what is tolbutamide orinase/ what is tolbutamide used for?
Tolbutamide (brand name Orinase) is used in adults to control blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetes (non-insulin dependent) which cannot be controlled by diet alone
Q. How does tolbutamide work/ how does tolbutamide lower blood glucose?
Tolbutamide helps pancreas to produce insulin which in turn helps to lower blood sugar
Q. Is tolbutamide contraindicated for older adults?
Tolbutamide is not contraindicated for older adults, but it should used with caution and should be initiated at lower doses
Q. Is tolbutamide still used?
Tolbutamide is used in generic form. No brands are available for same.