SALT INFORMATION Ramelteon(8 mg)
Ramelteon is used to treat insomnia (difficulty in falling asleep).
How it works
Ramelteon is a melatonin receptor agonist, which is a class of sedatives and hypnotics. It has an action similar to melatonin, a naturally released substance that acts in the brain to promote sleep and maintain the normal sleep-wake cycle.
Common side effects
Agitation, Anxiety, Decreased libido, Dizziness, Difficulty in swalloing, Shortness of breath, Fertility disorder, Unusual production of breast milk in women and men, Headache, Mood elevation, Sleepiness, Throat tightness, Auditory hallucination, Visual hallucination, Fatigue, Worsening of insomnia
- Do consult your doctor before using ramelteon if you have severe liver problems, lung disorders in which flow of air to the lungs is blocked (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease ), sleep apnea ( a condition in which breathing stops during sleep), or mental and mood related disorders (e.g., depression and suicidal thoughts).
- Do consult your doctor before using ramelteon if you are taking fluvoxamine, fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, cimetidine, clarithromycin, ciprofloxacin, gemifloxacin, levofloxacin, moxifloxacin, norfloxacin, ofloxacin, indinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir or nefazodone.
- Do not consume ramelteon with or immediately after a high-fat meal.
- Do not use ramelteon in adolescents and children as safety and effectiveness is not confirmed.
- Do not drive or operate machinery after taking ramelteon because you may feel sleepy.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol while on treatment with ramelteon.
- Do consult your doctor before using ramelteon if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is ramelteon safe during pregnancy?
Ramelteon should only be used if the potential benefits justify the potential risk to the baby. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use.
Q. Is it safe to use ramelteon during breastfeeding?
Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the infant. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use.
Q. Is ramelteon a controlled substance? Is ramelteon addictive?
No. Ramelteon is not a controlled substance and does not have a potential for addiction and abuse
Q. Is ramelteon over the counter?
No. Ramelteon is not an over the counter (OTC) drug. It can be obtained only on producing a valid prescription.
Q. Is ramelteon available in India?
Yes. Ramelteon is available in India in the form of 8 mg tablet.
Q. Is ramelteon effective? Does ramelteon work?
Ramelteon is a sedative-hypnotic drug used to treat insomnia (difficult falling asleep). It is effective if used as advised by your doctor. The effectiveness of ramelteon may vary upon individual response.
Q. Is ramelteon safe?
Ramelteon is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.