SALT INFORMATIONDomperidone(30 mg)
Domperidone is used to treat vomiting or nausea caused due to indigestion, diseases or drugs. It is also used to relieve fullness of stomach, belching and heavy bloating, gas and heartburn for a longer period up to 2 weeks.
How it works
Domperidone belongs to a class of medicines known as anti-emetics. Domperidone acts by helping food move faster through the food pipe, stomach and gut; thus normalising the digestion process.
Common side effects
Irritability, Loss of interest in sex, Breast pain or tenderness, Abnormal heart rhythm, Headache, Dry mouth, Diarrhea, Drowsiness, Abnormal milk discharge from breast
Rabeprazole is used to treat symptoms of gastric acidity, gastro-intestinal reflux disease (heart burn), stomach and intestinal ulcers, and diseases associated with excessive acid production (Zollinger Ellison Syndrome).
How it works
Rabeprazole belongs to class of medications called proton pump inhibitors. It blocks the activity of the proton pumps in the stomach wall that produce acid, thereby reducing the amount of acid produced in the stomach.
Common side effects
Increased risk of infections, Memory loss, Chills or sore throat, Belching, Abdominal pain, Constipation, Flatulence
- Do not take Domperidone, if you are allergic to it or to any other content in the tablets.
- Do not take the medicine, if you notice black, tarry stools (bowel motions) or blood in your stools, blockage or tear in the intestines or if you have a tumor of the pituitary gland (prolactinoma).
- Do not take the drug, if you have moderate to severe liver disease, heart problems (irregular heart rate or heart failure) or abnormal salt levels in the blood.
- Do not crush or chew the tablets, swallow them whole with a glass of water.
- Do not take the drug if you intend to drive or operate heavy machinery as it may cause drowsiness.
- Always take the tablets 15 to 30 minutes before meals and, if needed, before going to bed at night.
- Consult your doctor, if you are above 60 years of age and taking domperidone for a long period of time.
- Inform your doctor, if you are already taking medicines for fungal infections (ketoconazole) or antibiotics (e.g. gentamycin, erythromycin).
Frequently asked questions
Q. What is Domperidone/ domstal used for and how long can I take it?
Domperidone (also known as domstal) is used for the treatment of short-term (upto 48 hours) and long-term (upto 2 weeks) problems of nausea, vomiting, belching, gas, heartburn and bloating (not to be confused as laxative, steroid or antacid). Always take the drug exactly as your doctor has told you to.
Q. Can I take domperidone for morning sickness?
It is advisable to consult your doctor before taking the medicine if you are pregnant.
Q. Is domperidone an over the counter drug?
No, domperidone is not an OTC drug and it is not advisable to take it without a prescription.
Q. Can I take domperidone with citalopram?
Domperidone may increase the sedative effect of citalopram and may interact with other drugs like antibiotics, pain-killers or anti-fungals. Consult your doctor if you are taking any of these medicines.
Q. Does domperidone cause weight-gain?
No. Domperidone does not cause weight-gain. If you notice an abnormal weight-gain, visit your doctor.
Q. Is domperidone safe?
Domperidone is relatively safe drug if used in prescribed dose for prescribed duration as advised by your doctor. If you are a pregnant or lactating female, please consult your doctor before taking the drug.
Q. Does domperidone raise the blood pressure or cause depression?
These effects are generally not seen with use of domperidone. But if you are experiencing these side effects, please consult your doctor.
Q. Is rabeprazole/ Rabicip-20/ Rabium 20 mg/ Rabium DSR/ Veloz 20/ Veloz D/ Rablet 20/ Rablet D/ Rekool D an over the counter?
Rabeprazole (also available as / Rabicip-20/ Rabium 20 mg/ Rabium DSR/ Veloz 20/ Veloz D/ Rablet 20/ Rablet D/ Rekool D) although available over the counter, it should be taken only on doctor’s advice.
Q. Is rabeprazole safe during pregnancy?
No. Patients should follow the advice of the doctor regarding its use.
Q. Is rabeprazole an antacid / antibiotic?
Rabeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor which suppresses acid production in stomach. It is not antacid which reacts and neutralizes acid. It is not an antibiotic as it does not kill bacteria.
Q. Does rabeprazole cause osteoporosis/ insomnia?
Rabeprazole may cause osteoporosis/ insomnia. Please consult your doctor if you experience such side effect.
Q. Can i take gaviscon with rabeprazole?
Depending upon individual’s response, there should be an interval of at least 2 hours between the two drug administrations.